Is my 5 month old development skills ok?

My son is 5 months old, he will only roll over if he is on his tummy, he dont sit by him self and he dont crawl...is this all normal? Just asking because i see a baby the other day that was born on the same day as my son and is sitting up , crawling...idk is my son behind?

ldc90

Asked by ldc90 at 1:07 PM on Oct. 17, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My job is to do developmental assessments on children. Here is the advice I would offer. While no two children are the same, there is a medium that we use to tell us if a child appears to have delays. I do think you child should be rolling over in both directions now, but rolling from back to tummy is harder than rolling from tummy to back. I would suggest tummy time every day, several times a day. Jumpers and things are great, when used in short time spans. No more than 15 minutes, 2 or 3 times a day. I would also suggest getting on the floor with your child and "help" him to roll over. Sometimes, all they need to do is see how its done. Guide your child's body with your hands. Not crawling does not bother me at all. That can come as late as 8 months or so, and some children never learn to crawl. Although, there is a connection b/twn not crawling and poor eye/hand motor coordination.
    tracyinvinton

Answer by tracyinvinton at 10:09 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Every child develops at a different rate. Your son isn't behind, my 6 month old niece is only now able to sit supported by her hands for short periods of time and she doesn't crawl yet =)
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 1:12 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Very normal. My son didn't crawl until he was almost 7 months, and didn't roll over or sit up until he was like 6 months. But now he is active and walking and starting to talk. He's normal and so is your child.
    Mom2Dano

Answer by Mom2Dano at 1:20 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• happyThank you both very very much, b/c i have no idea, this is my 1st baby and i thought that he was behind. THANKS for the reassurance.

ldc90

Answer by ldc90 at 1:22 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Sounds normal to me too. My little one didn't start crawling until 8 months (just now) and he still isn't the greatest sitter. I think it's because he'd rather be crawling now. My niece is 2 1/2 months older than my son and was crawling by 5 months and sitting by then as well. Just goes to show that babies are all different.
    BabyBreyen

Answer by BabyBreyen at 1:29 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• My son didnt start crawling untill about three weeks ago around the time he also started walking lol. He's ten months. But now he does everything he's supposed to and then some. He amazes most people how advanced he is. And he didnt roll over till 5 months. He sat up when he was supposed to I just got a boppy pillow and sat him up in that. Dont worry though he sounds perfect.
    Anonymous

• My daughter is 5 months and she doesn't crawl yet, and only sits up with assistance. Now worries!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:00 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Same here... my baby girl is 5 months old and sits with assistance, and doesn't crawl. She rolls from tummy-back a lot, but has only rolled back-tummy a couple of times. All babies move at different paces...
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 5:52 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• For helping with the sitting, put a Boppy pillow behind him, where he is facing the opening. that will keep him from falling if he loses his balance. Of course, always be there to supervise. Also, sit on the floor with you legs apart and him in between. Put some toys out in front of him and encourage him to reach for them. You can also set him with legs apart and "prop" set him with his hands in front of him. Also called tripod sitting. Hope that helps, message me with any questions!
    tracyinvinton