do you help your children with homework? or do you make them figure it out on their own?

I try to help as much as I can but my DH and other family memebers get angry at me for doing so, he wants them to figure it out on their own! but the crap they are doing is even confusing to me sometimes! sad to say! and i dont see what the problem is? im not giving them the answers im helping them understand and figure it out themselves ! do you do the same? or how is your hw routin at your house?

Kayge

Asked by Kayge at 2:02 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in

• I help them to a point...and let them figure it out themselves. I will not give them an answer. They're not learning anything that way.
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 2:05 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I help mine.. she is only 5 though so its pretty simple stuff. She doesn't really need "help" but I sit with her while she does it.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:07 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My son is 10 and in the 4th grade. This is the first year that I am having him take more responsibity on doing his homework on his own. If he has a question, he knows he can come to ask me. It getss really frustrating at times,lol. But the stuff they send home is stuff that theyve learned in school...so what can be really confusing to us should be a little easier to them because they should be currently learning about it in class.
    I don't know how old youre kids are but trust me..letting them do the stuff on thier own will pay off in the long run. You can still look it over when they are done. Rememeber..they can handle it at school without ya ma..they can handle to do thier homework without ya too. Good Luck
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:08 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I have kids in 11th, 9th, 4th and 2nd. I do help them but I also let them DO the work.
    I think parents are supposed to "help" in order to be involved and know how their children are doing.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:10 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I sit with all 3 of them until they are done. My oldest usually doesn't need help but my 6 yr old needs directions read to him. My 9 yr old is a different story. He struggles so much with homework that if I didn't help him through all of it he'd do it completely wrong. I don't see how homework would be beneficial to him if I allowed him to simply guess at the answers and do it without understanding. Homework is s stressful time for me =(
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 2:10 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• There has be a balance, as long as you are helping them by showing them how to take it step by step and not giving them the answer (ex. if they have a question, tell them the page to look for the answer on, but not exactly where it is. or if it is a math problem break it down and say, we do this first so what is the answer for this, then we do that, so what's that answer, until the final answer is achieved). If you are helping by actually drawing things for them (my mom used to) you aren't helping them, if you are showing them, but don't make them think of the answer, your not really helping them. They need to think and figure things out on their own as much as they can!
    Sarasmoonflower

Answer by Sarasmoonflower at 2:15 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• At homework time I am always available to help as is my dh.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 3:09 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I would let them try to figure it out, but answer any q's they had. After they're done I would go over it with them.
    nicole_Evans

Answer by nicole_Evans at 4:05 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I assist my dd but she figure it out on her own. You have to tutor them like go thru the steps but not give them the answers because you will not be there @ school during regular exam and the state testin. Ask their teachers what they do and how you can assist them without givin them the answers.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 7:01 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• They do their own work. If they get stuck I'll come help but I won't give them the answer. I'll offer prompts to guide them towards the answer but I expect them to figure their work out on their own. I already went through school, I'm not doing homework again.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:05 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

Next question in
Just showing up at school...

Next question overall (Food & Drink)
Do you think it matters?