Any parents have a child diagnosed with ADHD but opted NOT to medicate?

My son's teacher wants to test him for ADHD. We have no problem with that but are not interested in medicating him...I'm wondering if anyone else's child has been diagnosed and if the subsequent plan they put in place at school once that happens is at all successful without medication.

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 2:05 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• We think DS (7) has it...but he's never been diagnosed. We wouldn't medicate anyway, which is why we havent had him tested.
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 2:06 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• i took my son off his meds he was overly emotional on them it was worse but doing ok now
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 2:07 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Yeah, the Kgarten teacher wanted my granddaughter tested last year. Instead, we sent her to a "Play Therapist", who said that she has no more problems than any other child. We kept an eye on her all summer. Now she's happily in First Grade with no issues. You have to watch some of those teachers, some of them want the child medicated so they don't have to deal with them. We are not medicating.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:07 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Oh, they were definitely trying to talk us into diagnosing him so that he could be medicated. But although his behavior is annoying, his grades are at the top of his class...this is why we don't feel it's necessary to medicate him. MAYBE if his grades were bad because he couldn't get it together enough to learn the work, but it's just when he gets bored that he talks, moves too much, etc...
    stepmom929

Comment by stepmom929 (original poster) at 2:11 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My son has been diagnosed with ADHD. I would medicate him if he needed it for his wellbeing, but not for the school's convenience. Our family doctor is a naturopath and has prescribed some natural supplements that have been very helpful for him in being able to meet his behavioral expectations at school. I would try that route if your child really does seem to need some medical assistance with his behavior rather than going to psych meds.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:30 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My son was diagnosed and was unmedicated for two years because I was completely against it. He went through behavioral theapy and his grades were good - they never faultered - but his social interactions were getting to be so bad. He would come home saying how he hated school, never wanted to go back, hated the bullies, just wanted to die....It was the last one that really woke me up.

Essentially, because he was reacting in such abnormal ways to situations - throwing things, screaming, pushing kids, crying - other boys in his class learned that it was fun to push his buttons and were constantly taunting him. Not to mention, since he was CONSTANTLY being corrected (even when nicely), he felt like he couldn't do anything right. I finally gave in to meds and he is so much better for it.

I'm not saying your son needs to be medicated, but I would hate for another kid to live through that if they don't have to.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 2:38 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• There are plenty of things you can do as far as diet and supplements, definitely look into those and seek out other parents that can give advice. Good luck!
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 5:38 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My cousin has it and wasn't medicated and he did wonderful. He's now 20 and doesnt need a thing.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:07 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• My son was diagnosed but the school has modifications set for him so that he doesnt need to be medicated. They seem to be working.
    dmelyoung

Answer by dmelyoung at 4:30 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• my son was diagnosed at 7 with ADD. I also refused to medicate him ...
    meNmine

Answer by meNmine at 10:36 PM on Sep. 16, 2010