How much cereal am I supposed to feed 4 1/2 month old?

I've been giving my daughter 2 tablespoons of formula mixed with 2 teaspons of cereal along with her last bottle before bed time for 2 weeks tomorrow. Is that okay? When am I supposed to give it to her twice a day and how much should I start giving her?

~Confused~ :)

brookes_mom04

Asked by brookes_mom04 at 1:36 PM on Oct. 17, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This is what I give my daughter (5 months)

6 ounces of Formula mixed with 5 tablespoons of Rice Cereal.

I give it to her twice a day, for breakfast and dinner (Breakfast is Rice Cereal with Mixed Fruit, Dinner is plain Rice Cereal)

There is no "supposed to" in feeding your child. Every kid has a different appetite, will be hungry at different times, etc.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:55 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Start by making it runny like you are and give that to her once a day for a week. It doesn't matter what time of day you choose to give it to her. Just do what's convenient with your schedule. I did dinner time to help extend her night time sleep. Then after a week you can start adding a second serving and then a few days later a third. As you go, gradually thicken the cereal. As far as how much she needs to eat, she'll let you know when she's full by fussing or turning her head away. Generally, you can start veggies a couple weeks after you've started cereal and then fruits. However, because your baby is still young I'd consult the doc before adding veggies and fruits. My DD is 5.5 months and has been on cereal for a month and I still haven't started other foods. I'd like to wait until she's at least 6 months.
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 3:02 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• NONE She is too Little!!!!
    Anonymous

• my son eats 7 ounces of formula and i add mixed cereal til its liquidy but thick. he slept from last night930pm til 8am today. i start feeding him at night at 8-830pm. he loves it
    michellem7781

Answer by michellem7781 at 12:18 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• oh and i only give it to him at night. he drinks 3 bottles of 6ounce formula during the day.
    michellem7781

Answer by michellem7781 at 12:19 PM on Oct. 24, 2008