Any tips on getting baby to roll over?

I lay her on her belly and play with her. She doesn't even seem interested in rolling over though. She just wants to suck on her hands which are conveniently right in front of her when she's on her belly. I read she is supposed to be rolling over by now and she's not. I feel like I've done something wrong. Any tips?

brookes_mom04

Asked by brookes_mom04 at 1:40 PM on Oct. 17, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There's nothing you are doing wrong. Kaylee was rolling to her belly at 3 1/2 months, and at around 4 months figured out how to get back onto her back (sometimes)

But I have a friend whose daughter is one month older than Kaylee is, and now at 6 months she has just started to master rolling onto her belly, and hasn't even attempted to try going onto her back yet.

Something we did with Kaylee was...well, we didn't come running every time she cried. She would try to roll over, and we knew that was what she wanted, but we also knew she had to figure out how to pull her arm out from under herself and things like that. We would let her be frustrated for, like, 5 minutes or so, and either she would calm down and think about what she was doing, or she would yell louder in which case we helped her out by showing her what she needed to be doing.

All babies develop at different rates. No worries! She'll figure it out.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:48 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• As long as you're giving her tummy time, you definitely haven't done anything wrong. My son didn't start rolling over very well until he was over 7 months old. I found that if I would put a toy that he really liked out of his reach, then kind of helped to get him started with the rolling by bending his leg or helping to move his arm out of the way, he would be more likely to roll to get it. You rolling her over (both ways, tummy to back and back to tummy) several times a day will help.
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 1:44 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I agree with the two previous responses. As long as she's getting plenty of tummy time, you're doing fine. Is she a big baby? I ask b/c that might have something to do with it, too. My twins rolled at very different times. Tommy rolled at 5 mos, but Brian didn't until he was 8 mos (he was also 3 lbs heavier than his brother).
    patsfan013

Answer by patsfan013 at 2:54 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• As much as tummy time is good do you let her play on the floor on her back? Babies typically roll to their tummys first. I would lay my kids on their backs and put something to the side of them but out of their reach. Eventually it will happen.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 3:15 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Some babies NEVER learn to roll over, until they are sitting up and/or crawling. Just enjoy your baby and don't sweat it. As soon as she's cruising around everywhere, you will miss the days that she lay there and played with her hands..LOL
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 4:09 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I actually do roll her over myself from her belly to back and then back to belly. I roll her halfway over and then let herself do the other half and when she gets over I clap and smile really big and tell her good job so she knows thats what she needs to do. lol. Thankyou for telling me they normally roll from back to belly first, I did not know that at all! I do let her play on her back alot. It's hard to lay her on her belly alot because she's normally really playful after she eats and I can't lay her on her belly to play b/c she might spit up from being full.
    brookes_mom04

Answer by brookes_mom04 at 10:45 PM on Oct. 17, 2008