What do you do when your kids say they are sick but you are not sure?

Like say, they tell you they have an upset tummy or a sore throat?
Do you still send them to school?

They would be young, elementary age kids......

Roadfamily6now

Asked by Roadfamily6now at 2:17 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in

• I ask a few questions and check her body out and sometimes she does feel bad and I have to come pick her up from school and sometimes she be alrite just tryin to get out of goin to school.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 6:57 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My rule is you can stay home if you throw up or are running a fever, but there are those situations where you can tell they don't feel well without running a fever or throwing up. It's a method of observation.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 2:21 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I always call the nurse at my child's doctor and they can answer any questions over the phone
    CharleesMom7

Answer by CharleesMom7 at 2:19 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My 5 year old did that today.. "Mommy my belly hurts soooo bad".. I said "No it does not, now get dressed"..lol. I can tell if they are really sick or just tired.. She was definitely just tired today! =)
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:19 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• You are not sick to me if you do not have a temp over 100 or you are not throwing up or having diarrhea.

Answer by louise2 at 2:20 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I would check him for a fever, if he had none, I'd kind of watch to see how he acted. If I felt that he was faking, I would ask him why, what brought him to that point and try to help him overcome what was bothering him. However if he just faked just for the hell of it, I would take him to school.

I faked being sick a lot, but in my case, it was because I was teased and bullied a lot and I just couldn't take it some days. So for that reason I would definitely be watchful of my son. I don't want him to suffer needlessly.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 2:21 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• take temp if none give them some pepto send them to school. Ask teacher if anything is going on at school that is upsetting your child
    LindaGig

Answer by LindaGig at 2:22 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I take his temperature,if no fever I don't say right away if he can stay home from school or not. I tell him to go on and get ready and see if he feels better after awhile. And I watch how he acts. I can tell if he's faking or not,lol. He'll think I'm not looking then act goofy and then when he sees me looking he'll act sick,lol.
    He has the sniffles and has had them for the past few days. Other than that, he's been fine. I gave him some ibuprofen this morning, a packet sized bottle of hand sanitizer and a little pack of tissues and sent him on his way. He wasn't down and out though...like, he didnt feel terrible..there was no reason for him to stay home.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:22 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My child hasn't been feeling her best due to allergies, but she actually wanted to go to school. SO I followed the old rule of thumb, no fever, no runs, no puke, you go. Now if the nurse calls me later I will deal with that then.
    Sarasmoonflower

Answer by Sarasmoonflower at 3:51 PM on Sep. 15, 2010