Is your husband or S/O a cop??

If so, how did they apply or start the process for recruitment? Law enforcement and military is something Ive always been interested in. I want to try to get into my local PD but everytime I serach on the enternet I can't find anyway to get recruited or apply.

anikahaynes1

Asked by anikahaynes1 at 2:20 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Money & Work

• DH is a police sergeant/cop for 24 years.

Search the job sites; apply like you would any other job. There will be a series mandatory meetings and testings that will take place (physical, written, psychological) and personal interviews as well; miss even one and you will not move further along the process. If you make it through the process, you will be placed on a list and not necessarily hired immediately. Most PDs maintain a list which is good for 2 years. If within that timeframe, an opening becomes available or the police department is expanded and you are high enough on the list, you will be hired and sent to the academy for training. If the list expires, you're back to square one; you'd have to go through the process again if the PD decides to test again. If you have military experience or previous police experience, you get additional "points" which may put you higher on the list.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 6:30 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Look at the county or city website under human resources. There should be instruction on how to apply. Some have an online application and some want you to come by and pick up the application. Also, depending on your state, you may be able to put yourself through police academy and get "ahead" of all the other applicants. And be sure to inquire about the physical requirements of being a police officer and work on them if you have too. I have seen some that require you to climb a six foot wall (unassisted) and lift 67% of your body weight over your head. Good Luck!
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 3:03 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I did see the HR website, and nothing on their website had ANY information about applying, the academy or anything. :(
    anikahaynes1

Comment by anikahaynes1 (original poster) at 3:07 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Do you mind telling me which city or state it is for? I might be able to find it. You can pm me if you want too.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 3:08 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My city has tons of recruitment info on the city website, also on monster.com. they are very understaffed!
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 3:32 PM on Sep. 15, 2010