Married

Do u believe in having 1 bank account ( Jointly) or your own account seperately? I like having my own account away from mh dh..

Airforce3mom

Asked by Airforce3mom at 2:22 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Money & Work

• We have two joint accounts, one at a local credit union that his check goes into to make the house payment, and one at my credit union back home that my check goes into and everything else comes out of. Our emergency savings account is in my name only and I'm not even sure he knows it exists, which is better for all of us because we have very different ideas of what constitutes an emergency :)
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 3:00 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• We keep seperate accounts.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 2:23 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• We have a goint account and then i have a seperate account for my splurge money. :D My husband keeps some of his check out each week for spending on his stuff but i save mine for something special that i really want but most of our money goes into a joint checking and savings account for the house, bills and groceries.
    mrsnikifrank

Answer by mrsnikifrank at 2:25 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• We have one checking and savings account that we share. It makes things easier for us.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:23 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I have a joint checking with dh and a joint savings with my mom.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 2:23 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• It doesn't really matter but I think that it should joint.
    jnd951999

Answer by jnd951999 at 2:24 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• We have a joint account. It was a huge step to merge finances but in my marriage I feel we should share everything.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 2:25 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• We have one checking and savings accounts. Separate credit cards. I'd like to start us on our own separate savings for when we want to do something separately or for birthday/Christmas shopping so that our joint account is for together dates and household bills/groceries/etc. But we aren't where I want us to be financially yet to do that
    dlandrum

Answer by dlandrum at 2:26 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• We have a joint account. I don't feel the need for my own. I think if I did feel the need to separate out *my* money, I would need to start asking myself questions about the marriage.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 2:27 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I think whatever works for your family is what "should" be done. For our family, it's easier to have a joint checking account for day-to-day expenses, a joint checking account for short-term, saved-for expenses, and a joint savings account for long-term savings.

MomToBeISaMom

Answer by MomToBeISaMom at 2:27 PM on Sep. 15, 2010