ADHD

Do you think its to frequently used as diagnosis. The teacher on my sons 3rd day of school says she thinks my 3 1/2 yr old has ADHD. I am not saying hes not Hyper but I am also taking some fault for the fact that I have not been very structured with him neither have the babysitters

Nycutie2707

Asked by Nycutie2707 at 2:27 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think they know more than I would - I would certainly look in to it, it doesn't hurt to get your child tested.. I have a feeling that is what is in store for our son - always hyper, can't even sit for a commercial most days, can't focus while reading a book to him or when its time to lay down - plus the fact that both my husband and I have it gives him a 90% chance..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:29 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I have him set up for evaluation but if it is the case I want to treat without medication
    Nycutie2707

Comment by Nycutie2707 (original poster) at 2:32 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I think the teachers can tell. My son has it. It's a certain way he acts, not just unstructured. 3 is young for medication. But when he gets older, it really helps. Why not do everything you can to help him?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:35 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Im not saying I would never consider medication but I would prefer it to be a last resort. He hasnt been officially diagnosed and it is only the 3rd day in UPK which is 2 1/2 hours a day.
    Nycutie2707

Comment by Nycutie2707 (original poster) at 2:53 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• my son is and i treat him without meds. His teacher says she has never seen such a well behaved child with it, that if it wasnt on his medical sheets she would have never known.
    On the other hand my cousin was diagnosed and stuffed with ritalin when he was young and it turned out he didnt have it...he had a brain tumor
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 2:54 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• They truly can't diagnose ADHD until a child is about 5 and entering a FULL day of school. I don't think that your 3 yo has it. He just may need more structure. I would wait until he is bit older and you have had structure in his day for awhile before you think about having him evaluated. I wish you luck. But I also think that this particular diagnosis is WAY overused and there are probably other explanations for why kids are acting like this.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:00 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Take him to the Dr to be evaluated. But Kids are naturally hyper. You cant tell until they are 5 i believe.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 3:54 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I'd wait until he was older to have him evaluated
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 6:01 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Much ADHD can be treated with structure and diet.. Look into it, and a pediatric neurologist should be closely following him, not a school psycologist or a psychiatrist (they are all mostly in cahoots thru $$ to drug kids).. Look into it.. Heard it straight from my drs ears and was shocked.
    Anidawehiwahya

Answer by Anidawehiwahya at 8:57 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• ADHD is a behavior problem. Fix it with behavior modification, not medication. I think it's overly diagnosed, especially for people who don't want to actually parent. I don't actually believe in ADHD, as it is generally presented.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:20 PM on Sep. 18, 2010