Military Experience?

I know this is going to offend some people, but for those touting McCain's military service, why do you feel that serving in the military is a guarantee that someone is capable of running the country? Working in an industry doesn't automatically grant you the skills to run that industry.

Also, aren't you embarrassed by how lightly we've begun to toss around the title of "war hero?" Am I the only one who sees this as a conservative propaganda stunt, similar to choosing a woman to run as VP?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:48 PM on Oct. 17, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• To answer the first question a persons character is strongly developed by any kind of military experience, it changes you, ask any military person if they are different now that they have served their country. I personally am very proud of Senator McCain and just finished reading his account of his POW experience and I was moved by how he wanted others to go home before himself as they were there first and he didn't want to take the easy way home and dishonor his country. Your second question I do not think anyone is disgracing war vets by referring to John McCain as one I post proudly definetly not lightly. Third there are some of us that are backers of Sarah Palin, I don't think her being a woman is a conservative propaganda stunt, I think the fact she is a woman and has done what she has done is remarkable, why not give her a chance, Obama backers want to give him a chance and he has no more experience than she does.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 2:04 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• no being in the military doesn't guarantee you are a good leader but certainly not being in doesn't make you a good commander and chief of the military. being in the military gives you insight that no civilian has. John mccain is a war hero. obama has no experience in the military. In fact as an Illinoisian I can say I don't think he has any experience except being present.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 2:19 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• John Mccain is a war Hero Mam. And he has experience therefore that makes him MORE experienced. Obama Has NO clue about our Military and would probably screw it up.
    momma_2_three

Answer by momma_2_three at 2:22 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I prefer to think about it as the man's loyalty to his country. Particularly when he had the opportunity to go home and wouldn't leave his comrades behind. That speaks volumes about a person's character and what they are willing to sacrifice for what they believe in. I don't think that is anything that SHOULD be taken lightly.
    Sharon7772

Answer by Sharon7772 at 2:33 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• OMG.....THANK YOU SENATOR MCCAIN FOR YOUR SERVICE TO OUR COUNTRY!!! Sorry I just felt compelled to yell that, his story is so moving as I am sure all war vet stories are. THANKS TO ALL WAR VETS AND WAR HEROES, THIS AMERICAN IS PROUD TO BACK YOU. NOTHING YOU HAVE DONE FOR OUR COUNTRY SHOULD BE TAKEN LIGHTLY. HALLELUJA!!! Ooops I did it again, sorry.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 2:43 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Have you ever worked for someone that didn't even know how to do your job? And you have to educate them on your job before they can tell you what to do? It dosen't automatically give him a pass to be president. But I think every president should have to serve their country in the military.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 2:51 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I was in the Navy for 8 years and trust me...military experience does not make you qualified to run anything. I don't think that calling McCain a war hero is off base though. Being a POW puts you in the war hero category automatically. There may be some strategy involved in continuously bringing up his military experience. It tends to distract people from other issues while they laud his POW status and patriotism. I also don't think that you have to be in the military to be patriotic.
    maryhelenk

Answer by maryhelenk at 2:53 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• name any past presidents who have not serve in the military.

1- GWB and yet many here hav eposted taht he has done good in a time of war.

I respect senator mccain status as a pow. I also know many veterans voting for Obama, so being a pow doesn't guarantee taht he'll be a good leader.
    Anonymous

• I'm in the military...both my husband and I have been for some time now...and I have served with some of the best men and women I have ever met, and some of the worst. Being in the military doesn't make you either a good person or a good leader--but it can make you a better person or a better leader.

I am the last person that thinks that being in the military automatically qualifies you for public office--though I do think that it gives you a better insight to how the military functions, which I think can be an asset to the office of President.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 2:59 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• honestly i'm really not sure there is anything heroic about war at all. also, from what i know military does not teach you to lead it teaches you to follow orders.
    Anonymous