Clogged tear duct??

So the pediatrician said to massage and use a warm compress simultaneously, I have been doing this 5-7 times a day for 5 weeks and she still has icky goopy crusty eyes, any other suggestions? Could this mean that there is a bigger problem?

Liz30355

Asked by Liz30355 at 2:34 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sometimes the ducts just don't open up. We tried everything with our middle daughter but they never opened. She had a constant eye infection until she had surgery at 18 months to fix them.
    Now our youngest son is 2 months old and still has clogged ducts. I do the massaging and everything but his eyes are so goopy. Poor kid already hates anyone touching near his eyes. I keep hoping they'll open so he doesn't need surgery like my daughter.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:38 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Use a green tea bag as the warm compress. It has natural anti-inflammatory properties. Also, put a couple drops of breastmilk in the eye a couple times a day.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:35 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• If it hasn't unclogged by now you need to go back and ask to go to a specialist. I have a friend who's DD had to have surgery at 9 mos old b/c it was still blocked.
    coala

Answer by coala at 2:36 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My middle son had this problem, it was ongoing. When he was 9 months old the pediatrician finally decided he needed to have his tear duct opened up. I can't remember the name of the procedure. It was done at the surgical center as an outpatient. Once he had this done, he never had a problem again. It was quick and apparently simple.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 2:36 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I had this problem as a baby and my mom tried some of the things listed in some of the answeres above and other things. It was an on going problem and my mom had to take me to an eye specialist and i had to have surgery to open the blocked tear duct.
    boydsbearlover

Answer by boydsbearlover at 4:36 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• It might be something you baby has to out grow. My son had troubles with his tear ducts from the time he was born... more his left than right... nothing ever helped him get over it. The doctor said that if it was a problem at a year then they can do some kind of probe and clean out the duct (which I was totally freaking out about) but it clearned on it's own around 11 months.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:53 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• We really struggled with it. I had done the soaking and massaging. I put a few drops of breast milk in.

One day DH took a 5 oz bottle of breast milk and washed DD's eye in a major way. Since that mega wash, it has been completely clear. And she liked the whole process.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:39 PM on Sep. 15, 2010