Do you visit your mother-in-law often without your husband?

My MIL doesn't speak much English and it's a little uncomfortable for me to go there without my husband bc we can't communicate too much. She is going through a lot of stress that I don't want to get into and I feel like I should be there more for her but it's hard bc I can't really tell her what I am trying to say! What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:34 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Relationships

• Maybe you can try and learn some of the language that she speaks and try to communicate that way or just be there and do what you can for her.
    coala

Answer by coala at 2:35 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• When we lived in the same town, I sometimes went over there without him, just for a short visit, but since we live an hour away, no never.

Try learning her language so you can communicate better with her. On the same token, help her learn English better.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 2:37 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Just being there might help. Even if you can't communicate well with her maybe she will be comforted with having you there.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 2:37 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I do, when my husband is out to sea I have stayed with them up to a month at a time. It is not awkward for us beut we are dealing with a language barrier like you are. I think some of the other Moms gave you some great advice. Maybe you could reach out to her but trying to learn some of her language. Or perhaps just having her grandbabies around would help her some. I would try and make an effort.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 2:40 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I agree, just be there, maybe go when you can get someone who also speaks the language to go. Drop by with some cookies or a meal, even just for a short time.

My husband and I have been married 22 years. Unfortunately, his mother and I have never had a relationship, although she lives nearby. I really hope to have a close relationship with my daughter in laws...I have 3 sons. I know the effort would mean a lot to me.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 2:43 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Its being there that is more important. Ask her out for lunch. maybe you could play cards together. talk to your hubby about it & see what he thinks you can do together.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 3:52 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• No
    jnd951999

Answer by jnd951999 at 4:24 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Not so much any more.
    Danaefm

Answer by Danaefm at 8:08 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• no, i used to talk to here quite a lot at the beginning of our marriage, but then i realized that woman has too many issues... she is a sweetheart but... i won't get into it. i have to keep myself away from her to be emotionally healthy. however, it sounds like your situation is different - can you learn her language, is she willing to try to learn better english? if not, she probably is used to communication being difficult here... she will appreciate any attempt you make to do so.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 9:27 PM on Sep. 15, 2010