Question for mothers with newborns 4+ months....

First off Im a breastfeeding mom. My daughter started cereal at 4 months only 1tbs w/breast milk in the am and now at 5 months she is eating 2tbs of cereal in the am and 1tbs of fruit along w/ 1tbs of veggeis in the pm. She still nurses pretty much the same as befor she started eating solids which is great but for some reason the only fruit she likes out of the peaches, bananas, applesauce ect is pears. I tasted all the ones she seemed not to like and there very sour and she just spits it out and gives me this really sour face so I stopped giving them to her for now untill she can establish her taste buds a little better. The plus side to all of this is she loves all her veggies, thank the lord lol! I will not force any foods on her that she does not like but when should I try reintroducing those other fruits to her again?

LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Asked by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 2:39 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Personally, I would wait on all food until she can sit up and pick up real food and not have to be fed liquid food. I like the Baby Led Weaning philosophy of if food has to be liquid, they aren't ready.

http://babyledweaning.com/

http://wholesomebabyfood.com/babyledweaning.htm

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:42 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I would suggest making your own baby food. It's very easy, and she'll most likely eat more fruits and veggies because they won't taste awful.

Here is a great site:

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 2:43 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• i don't really know as i didn't introduce solids until mine was 8-9 months old. there is new advice or information given as why waiting to introduce solids later is better now days. i guess i would say around the 8-9 months according to this advice.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 2:44 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I also agree with what BradenIsMySon said....I don't feed my babies until they can sit unsupported, show interest in food..
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 2:45 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I would make my own b/c it tastes better. BTW I have forced food on my DD b/c they can't determine whether they like it or not unless they have tried it a minimum of 7-10 times. I still force my DD to eat things that she doesn't like and she is 2. I will win the battle with food and she will eat what is given to her b/c I will not make more than one meal for my family to eat. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 2:46 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• You can make your own, which is great, or you can offer her other brands. My dd won't hardly eat anything gerber brand but loves beech nut, ella's organics and plum organics. You can reintroduce flavors any time you want, it can take 10 or more introductions of a food for a baby/toddler to decide they like it.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:47 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I agree with trying to make your own. My son loves fresh fruit. I just cut up the fruit or veggies and steam them. Then I. Use a little hand held liquifyer and add just a little water. I save old baby food jars and freeze them until we need it. I've also heard of people using icecude trays. Good luck!
    GingerMom33

Answer by GingerMom33 at 3:54 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• i re-introduce foods that my little guys didn't like every few days.. they say it can take 7-10 times for a baby to like a new food, and even with older ones they can try things a bunch of times and not like it and one day, boom they like it. Good luck with it!
    Mrs.KV

Answer by Mrs.KV at 3:54 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I think you can make your own baby food, whatever is fresh and in season... it will taste sweeter that way without having to add sugar
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 4:04 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I just started my baby girl on food about a month ago, she is now 5 months old. She also loves her veggies, we've tried peas and sweet potatoes so far. And my girl also doesn't seem to like the fruits, we've tried apples, pears, and bananas. She also gave that sour look and even a chill now and again, I also tried it (takes gross!). But just keep trying with the food she doesn't seem to like, this young their taste buds aren't developed enough and aren't really sure what they do and do not like, it may take a few times and a few funny looks but keep trying. The older she gets the more interested in her food she will get. Good luck!
    ZammiesMommy

Answer by ZammiesMommy at 2:31 AM on Sep. 16, 2010