Hot front door

My front door is made of some kind of metal and gets extremely hot because the sun beats down on it directly for hours. We have no shade and the "screen" door is all glass so that adds to the heat. Eventually (when we have the money), we're going to replace both doors, but what is something we can do temporarily? I know planting shade trees will help, but they will obviously take awhile to grow to be effective anytime soon. I would not worry so much, except my son (3) has touched the door a couple of times and of course it hurts him (fortunately only temporarily, but I worry it could be severe at some point).

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 2:54 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Home & Garden

• You can buy a glass tinting film to cover the screen door. I've seen it at WalMart near the paint and home repair area. I think it was about $12 to $15 for enough film to cover 5 regular windows.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:11 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Aluminum foil on the screen door to block out the rays

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:55 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• What color is the paint? A lighter color is going to reflect the heat away so changeling the color may help some.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:57 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Oops. I didn't read your reply to the post before I posted my answer! I do think the window tint might work.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:13 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• It's painted dark brown. Still gets very hot.

I hadn't thought about aluminum foil. We also actually have a roll of window tint that DH is planning to put on our back windows to block the sun there. I forgot all about it. I'll ask him to put it on the glass door. Thanks! :)
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 3:03 PM on Sep. 15, 2010