Spitting up breastmilk only?

My son is just under two weeks old. He's fed breast milk during the day, and formula at night. During the day, he's ultra cranky, hard (and sometimes impossible) to console and continually spits up the breast milk he's fed. At night, he sleeps pretty well.

I just don't get it. Isn't breast milk supposed to be better/easier on his tummy? Why does he keep throwing it up? I cut out dairy from my diet to see if that would help and it didn't. I haven't eaten gas causing foods (like broccoli), and I haven't eaten anything with majorly strong flavors like onions or garlic, but he's completely rejecting my breast milk. I am on two medications that I cannot stop taking that are supposed to be safe during breast feeding (Zyrtec and levothyroxine). I'm going to ask his pediatrician at his two week check up next week, but I'd like some insight on why this is happening if anyone has an idea.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:03 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It could be something you are eating. Try to avoid strong flavored foods like asparagus, gassy foods like cabbage and then if that doesn't help try eliminating or reducing dairy.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:04 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• OKay so i re read it said you are already avoiding foods so try reducing dairy for a few days
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:05 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• It sounds like overactive letdown. Check out this website. http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/reflux.html

Overactive letdown can cause babies to gulp their milk at the beginning of a feeding so there is too much air in their bellies. This makes them cranky and causes them to spit up to try to get the air out.

Also, post in the breastfeeding moms group. They can help you out a ton. http://www.cafemom.com/group/325
    kwaverysmom

Answer by kwaverysmom at 3:14 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Most likely it's your letdown. Read the article posted above, it will help.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:16 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I was also going to say overactive letdown. I had this problem with my youngest and for us it was pretty simple to fix. I just changed positions while nursing.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:16 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• i agree with the ladies who said overactive letdown
    like posted above, its a pretty easy fix
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 4:01 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Also, going back and forth may be hard on his digestive system. Start block feeding and cut out the formula to see if it gets better.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 4:46 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Also, he might be sucking down a ton of breast milk. At 2 weeks, I was a major over producer and sometimes DD would just drink it down and barf it out.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:35 PM on Sep. 15, 2010