I have a fourteen month old that loves to run away when i tell her to come here, what is the best way to deal with that?

Jmakeupmommy

Asked by Jmakeupmommy at 3:03 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I use counting. I will count to 5 and if they do not listen I will go and get them and they have a time out (1mon for there age). Explaining to them why they are in time out. Know I will start and rarely get to 3 and they will do what I say.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 3:06 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I use counting too, but it didn't work until my DD was a little older than 14 months. I found that I kind of had to let it go for a while - if I ignored her running away, she'd usually be disappointed that she didn't get a reaction and come running back.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 3:12 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I count to 3, slowly (so they have enough time for what I'm asking) and if they there (or done with what ever) I follow through with the threat issued when I told them I was going to count to 3 and there better be there (or done). If however we are out somewhere I am not so quick to count before I punish them because there are too many bad things that could happen in a matter of seconds. And making them hold my hand or ride in a buggy or get carried(depending on age and size of child), which ever is more appropriate to the situation is what I generally do for punishment. (Parkinglots or anything outdoors away from the yard or other trusted area is automatic hold my hand)
    Sarasmoonflower

Answer by Sarasmoonflower at 3:16 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• When we weer in public, i used to put a child leash on him. Sounds mean and looks horrible but guess what :0) he didn't run away!! best invention for toddlers in my opinion.
    jolee0222

Answer by jolee0222 at 3:17 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I also do the counting technique. I count to three the I go and get my child. Have a small chat with him/her.
    shsutterfield

Answer by shsutterfield at 4:24 PM on Sep. 15, 2010