FIRED for burning pages from the Koran, Thoughts?

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/09/14/2010-09-14_koran_burner_derek_fenton_fired_from_his_job_at_nj_transit.html

The protester who burned pages from the Koran outside a planned mosque near Ground Zero has been fired from NJTransit, sources and authorities said Tuesday.

Derek Fenton's 11-year career at the agency came to an abrupt halt Monday after photographs of him ripping pages from the Muslim holy book and setting them ablaze appeared in newspapers.

Fenton, 39, of Bloomingdale, N.J., burned the book during a protest on the ninth anniversary of Sept. 11 outside Park51, the controversial mosque slated to be built near Ground Zero.

He was apparently inspired by Pastor Terry Jones, the Florida clergyman who threatened to burn the Koran that day but later changed his mind.

NJ Transit said Fenton was fired but wouldn't give specifics.

"Mr. Fenton's public actions violated New Jersey Transit's code of et

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 3:04 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Good for them for making him responsible for his actions.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:06 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I think anyone that burns pages from ANY book (and I don't care if it's the Koran or Tom Sawyer) is an idiot. Just because you don't agree with what it says doesn't mean you should have the right to burn it. Tough shit for him. Hell, I'm not religious at all, but I sure as hell wouldn't grab a copy of the freaking Bible and set it on fire. How many of you would be on my ass beating me to a pulp if I tried to do that?
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 3:07 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• We are free in this country. We can say and do what we like, but there are consequences for what we do.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 3:11 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• He had to have known that his actions would reflect badly on him and (by automatic assocation) his employer. I don't feel bad for him, honestly. If you choose to make such a controversial stand, you also choose to reap the consequences.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 3:09 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• If the NJ Transit code of Ethics is a document he signed off on, and if it specifically talked about protest actions like this, then he HAD to be fired.

I do find it interesting that the New York branch of the ACLU is stepping up to say his First Amendment rights were probably violated.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:41 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I agree with a previous poster - having freedoms doesn't mean we won't have consequences.

He should have thought about it before he did it if he wasn't ready for the consequences of his actions.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:24 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Sweets....you sound surprised. Isn't this what you would have wanted to have happen?
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:38 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

All other government agencies have regulations like that in place, it would be weird if he happened to work for the one government agency in existence that doesn't. What I wonder is how strict his/theirs is. The one I was under in IL had different rules for what was done on work hours vs off hours and a third set of rules to cover salaried people and emergency responders. Friend of mine in NJ has a super strict one to the point he has gone offline and won't use FB anymore rather than risk something someone posts there getting him in trouble. I'll have to ask if the one he signed is a state-wide standard or specific to the area he works in.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:46 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I do find it interesting that the New York branch of the ACLU is stepping up to say his First Amendment rights were probably violated.

***

That IS interesting. It's so hard to know which side the ACLU will end up supporting....it always seems to be the "little guy," yet in this particular instance, there are two "little guys" being trampled on (the fired employee or Muslims)...so what's the ACLU to do...I guess they drew straws?! *sigh*
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:49 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I think that unless they were willing to fire him for burning pages from ANY book, it wasnt a fair decision.
    I dont agree with what he did, NOT AT ALL. But if it was just because it was the Koran, its wrong. I am not muslim. So the pages of the Koran dont mean anything to me, religiously. But the Bible does, because I am a christian. It would upset me to see someone burning the Bible, but would he get the same punishment for doing so? I think not.
    He was only fired because of the publicity around the proposed burning in Florida. If the crazy pastor in Florida (who only has 50 members to his church) had been ignored by the media, none of this would have happened.
    "They burn our flag so I will burn their book"... geez people. Grow the f*** up.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 5:27 PM on Sep. 15, 2010