choking infant

I have a 2 month old that coughs and chokes often. The doc. has prescribed Zantac for acid relfex....and she choked on that while I was giving it to her bad yesterday. I had to turn her upside down and push on her diaphram (all instinct) until it came out. Now I am paranoid over every little spit-up and cough that it is going to happen again. I don't want to take her anywhere in the car....because her being strapped in, I feel like I can't get to her fast enough or I will wreck and kill us both trying. I just can't get the episode out of my head! Has anyone else had this problem with an infant???

siren77

Asked by siren77 at 3:06 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son has it horrible. We did zantac and he still got sick, and coughed. Have you tried a boppi? Swing? or Tumbler seat? Alittle bit of incline goes a long way. Also some cereal in the bottle helps too, the thickness makes it hard to loss. Best of luck and hope your little one is feeling better soon.
    candle5

Answer by candle5 at 3:11 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Yes... my son was a choker far in to solid food where he'd even choke on cheese -but he also did this as an infant and many times I did pull over.. i figure I deserve every grey hair I will get from him for all the times I've had to stick my finger down his throat or tip him over and none of it came instinctual at all to me - I freaked each time not knowing what to do :) I would talk to your ped about it though to be on the safe side.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:12 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My daughter did that. Up until she was around 3. She always choked and puked in restaurants. She did outgrow it. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:14 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• can you get zantac in a liquid form?
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 3:59 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• i know when my daughter was on the bottle she would always choke on the formula so i put just a bit of rice cereal in with it to thicken it up and it worked really well
    CheyCheysMom

Answer by CheyCheysMom at 8:38 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My 3 month old does the same thing and it is scary :( I gave him zantac for a week and stopped but I would slowy give it to him under his tongue..it seemed to work just took while. keep her elevated as well and I know how you feel..going through the same thing :)
    socalikim

Answer by socalikim at 2:10 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• My daughter has acid reflux, she has been on prevacid which is a miracle. But I use to prop her up, even put her top sleep in her bouncer so that she'd be at an incline. Check your nipple stage, make sure it is stage 1 and slow drip. Make sure you are propping her up and burping her very often during feedings. I had to burp her every ounce or two, it seemed to help. If you are breastfeeding it helps to stay away from spicy food, that can also irritate your babies tummy. To give her Prevacid, its a solu-tab so I put it in a surenge and it devolves in it, so I then squirt it in her cheek and she just swallows it.
    ZammiesMommy

Answer by ZammiesMommy at 2:25 AM on Sep. 16, 2010