What do you think of a mother in law that says she wants to buy your kids clothes that, "look more expensive" than what you can afford.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:10 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• If she offers to buy clothes I wouldnt have a problem with it.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 3:11 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• i would ask her not to in the most nices way. becouse the kids are going to think you can do it all the time
    cat708

Answer by cat708 at 3:12 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I'd actually be very offended.. Sounds like she's saying you aren't doing good enough for your kids. She's probably one of those ppl that will buy your kids expensive clothes and act nice about it to your face and then go around and tell ppl you couldn't afford them so she had to buy for your kids.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:15 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• it's not all about money or looks. You should tell her to butt out. i think it's rude to make it seem like your kids look poor :0/
    jolee0222

Answer by jolee0222 at 3:15 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I'd think she could have said that better. If she wants to buy clothes for the kids, that's fine, but she doesn't have to insult you in the process. I have to agree, she may be one of those people who "help" you but tell every one else about it like she's so put out by it.
    Mrs.B3

Answer by Mrs.B3 at 3:23 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• i would say "okay thanx!"
    i wish my mother in law would buy my kid some clothes for a change
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 3:23 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I would decline. It's NOT her place. She's welcome to buy an outfit just for fun. However, to think she has a place to buy ALL the cloths I don't agree with. She is crossing a boundary. IMO. If you allow it to happen you'll ultimately, set the standard with her and she'll think she can do whatever, whenever. Hence, she may start to feel she has final say.
    lioness3e

Answer by lioness3e at 3:31 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I'd decline and tell her that I am more into the kids have clothes that are comfortable and durable than 'expensive looking'. Glad my MIL is not like that!!
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:40 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I would probaly say that the clothes my kids are wearing are just fine, but if you want to buy them clothes as a present that is fine, but please don't insult me like that. (I know easier said than done) You know how your realtionship with her is, and what could really be a productive conversation on the subject, but I really think you need to say something. That's not okay.
    jillybean703

Answer by jillybean703 at 3:46 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• If she put it that way, I'd think it was rude.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 4:14 PM on Sep. 15, 2010