i'm at my wits end!

NAP TIME....need i say more?! lol it's a fight every day...if she naps, she's great, but it's a little harder to get her to sleep at night, and she doesn't sleep good......if she doesn't nap, she gets beyond hard to handle, and crashes around 7, and is back up and ready to go at 9...do i let her nap or not nap? i'm completely at a loss on what to do. i really want her to nap still bc it's my time to get stuff cleaned up, and take time for myself, but i understand if she's starting to phase out her naps. i still feel that she needs them, just by the way she is when she doesn't get them..any advice? she's 27 months by the way.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:17 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My girls quit naps about 2 yrs and 9 months I think it was. They would nap but it got later and later in the day. Then bedtime was a horror, I cut out naps and bedtime is much easier. But they sleep through the night fine, not sure what to tell you if she is up again at 9pm. GL
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 3:19 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• It's a tough stage. She's giving up her nap, but she still kind of needs it. It will pass. It's a transition stage. I remember when my son gave his up. He would fall asleep for the night at 5:30 in the car on the way home from daycare. He would miss dinner. Then he would wake up 2:00am starving. I would have to feed the poor thing. It didn't last long though. Do whatever it takes to keep everyone happy. Good luck.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:21 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Where she is up again at 9 to me it sounds like she still needs a nap, but maybe shorter than she takes. Bedtime is a nightmare at my house too. My girls are in daycare and my 3 year old really needs to give up her nap for the most part, but since state law requires them to have all the kids lay down for at least a half hour, she crashes. Good luck!
    jillybean703

Answer by jillybean703 at 3:22 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Try an early nap. My daughter just turned 3 and still naps. She needs one and if not OMG!!! I lay her down at 1:00pm and get her up no later than 3:30pm. She is in bed at 7:45pm, I try to stick to the same routine. I feel for you, this is when I do my things as well. Just keep trying. Sometimes they just have off days, maybe she will start to nap again. May she is teething also.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 3:24 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• She needs a nap.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 3:31 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My DD is the same way and trust me i wish she would just take her naps cause she is a meany if she doesn't. You aren't alone her momma not for one minute. If my DD do not take her nap then she is in her bed at 7PM if she takes her nap she goes to bed at 8:15-8:30PM and either way she is out in the same amount of time. She is up no matter what at 6AM so she needs her sleep regardless.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 3:31 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My son hasn't napped since he was 2. He is 4 now. I would rather not stress out and fight him over napping when he is not actually tired. l have him rest while his younger brother and cousin take a nap. He has to lay down until they are asleep and then he can go into the other room and sit quietly and read in the book area.
    So maybe instead of fighting you could just have a special place for rest time?
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 5:31 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• We had the same problem. It's the transition from nap to no nap. Fighting nap time combined with it being difficult to get her down at night when she does nap is usually a signal that the child is outgrowing naps. I found that if I stalled a little and put my son down at 7:30 rather than 7, we avoided the 9:00 wakeup. Not sure why that would make that much difference but it worked for us. You can also try doing naps every other or every 3rd day. You might also try to find a way to get her to take a shorter nap. I sometimes plan to run errands in the car early afternoon when I know my son might nap. Then I just let him sleep in the car. Invariably he sleeps about 40 minutes or so. It gets him through the afternoon without interfering with bedtime.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 8:42 PM on Sep. 15, 2010