Would you rather fightbyour 5 year old to pick up toys or just do it yourself?

cbearsgirl

Asked by cbearsgirl at 3:20 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• Kids need to take responsiblity for their actions and their belongings and that includes picking up after themselves. So they have to, even though a lot of times it would just be faster and easier to do it myself.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:38 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• It is worth the fight to train them to pick up after themselves. It will benefit everyone in the end.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 3:23 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• They will do it. There is no fighting about it, they either do it or lose privileges. Generally we make it a game and it goes easier.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:23 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My 2 yo knows how to pick up her toys and she knows what happens if she doesn't. I would tell your child that if they don't pick their toys then you are going to take them away. They then can earn 1 toy a day back by picking up said toys. That is what my mom did with my sister and I and my 2 yo has the same rules. BTW she has been cleaning up after herself since she could walk.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:24 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My children know that if I have to go that far that they are in serious trouble!! They will be punished! It is their job to clean up after themselves (to a point, I realize that they can't do laundry by themselves or wash dishes *at least the breakable and sharp items*, but there's alot they can do to clean up after themselves)
    Sarasmoonflower

Answer by Sarasmoonflower at 3:27 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• well my dd is 4 but she knows that when i tell her to do something she better do it so i don't have that problem... i never give in and do it for her unless she is sick
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 3:22 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I would rather her do it.. It teaches responsibility.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:23 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Do it myself.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:22 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• neither... if they are going to fight about picking up their toys then the toys get taken away for a while
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 4:17 PM on Sep. 15, 2010