How young is to young for speech therapy?

cbearsgirl

Asked by cbearsgirl at 3:26 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'd say under 6. My daughter spoke horribly up until that point. It all worked itself out on its own.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:27 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• When my Dd was not talking much. My Dr said lets wait till she is 2 yrs and 3 or 4 months before we start to worry. Well she did not add any more then the 10 words she said.At 2yrs and 6 months. She started speech therapy. A lot of child do not have a big burst of vocabulary till after two years of age.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 3:28 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My son has Down syndrome. He began speech therapy at 6 months. He is 7 now and still receives speech therapy.
    Momtocccd

Answer by Momtocccd at 3:28 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My son started speech therapy with ECI around 21 months and he continues with it in Head Start now at age 3 1/2. It has helped him SO much! He could barely say any words at all and now he's speaking in sentences. He still struggles with some words but he's getting better and I can tell that he's happier being able to communicate with others more easily. I ADAMENTLY disagree with mompam!
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 3:30 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Oh, and speech therapy w/ ECI was about once a month and now it's once a week I believe (and was once a week when a speech therapist saw him at daycare).
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 3:31 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• As soon as they are old enough to be able to really tell that they are behind the curve and figure out why, they are old enough for speech therapy. My little guy is 4 and has been in speech therapy for a year and it has helped a lot. He was very frustrated by his inability to communicate at age 3.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:35 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Anything under a year I would be nervous about. But my son started at just under 2. He's now 4 and not only speaks as well as other kids his age (from not talking at all) but he has words and sounds that aren't common for kids in his age group at all... Had we waited it would have only caused more anxiety and stress for him and us...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:23 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My 2nd and 3rd had speech delays. My 2nd son was diagnosed at 18mo with a speech disorder and was in the Birth to 3 program, then from 3-5 he had speech services thru the school district special education. When he started kindergarten at age 6 his teacher was floored to hear that he had ever had a speech problem and had been in therapy. My 3rd was not talking by 2 1/2 and he was evaluated by the school district and at 2yrs 9months he started special ed for speech. He is 4 and has made great progress!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 5:14 PM on Sep. 15, 2010