My boyfriend play fights with our son. Do you think this teaches him violence?

cbearsgirl

Asked by cbearsgirl at 3:29 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• Nope, it's just a boy thing.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:29 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Nah.. I think its good for parents to interact and play with children & children love to wrestle! lol
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:30 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• No. I do that with my son. He isn't really violent.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:30 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• naa not at all..
    its "male bonding"...
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 3:33 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• No, it's a boy thing. They love to play rough.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 3:33 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• my husband actually read in his what to expect fathers book that wrestling and play fighting helps get energy and normal aggression boys have out of their system, he's on the other end though where he cant play rough with our son, he feels like he's going to break him - he's just SO over paranoid is alll
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:34 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I play fight with my son all the time. He is only 26 months old and knows to slow his fist down so he lightly taps me and says "Pffft" He is not violent at all.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 3:36 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Be glad he's learning it in a safe environment with dad where there is no confusion that he is actually being threatened. He will learn it no matter what, its genetic I swear to you! Plus I'm sure Dad teaches him to play not to actually hit with force or intention. If he didn't... whoa you'd be in trouble, you wouldn't have a clue what to do with his boy energy running rampant in your house. Lol. If you're really concerned just ask your husband to make sure he understands that when he goes to school fighting is never acceptable and that he can always go to the teachers or you guys or whatever. Relax Momma and enjoy the male bonding ritual that your Dear Husband is passing on. :)
    GoldenLinds

Answer by GoldenLinds at 3:43 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I think it depends. There was a little boy in my son's daycare class who was very aggressive and I found out from one of the other moms (maybe they were friends w/ the parents, not sure) that the dad would wrestle with him and such. So the dad must not be teaching him that it's not ok to be aggressive at school.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 3:46 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Unless it's really out of hand, then it's probably a good thing. My husband does it with our son as well as our daughters, and none of my kids are violent or aggressive.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:03 PM on Sep. 15, 2010