How much money before moving out?

Me & DH started dating in highschool. He moved in with us (longer story). and over the years we have lived with my mom. She doesnt want us to move out. But we are 27yrs old with a 4yo & I cant do it anymore.. Im afraid of how much its going to hurt her. But, moving out is a natural part of life!!

Question: How much money should we save before moving out?
(I plan on telling her we are moving out, then start taking quick "steps" to get out. We both fear if she found out she would try to get us to stop (like asking for more $$)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:30 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Money & Work

• I understand soooo well. My husband and I and our 4 y.o. just moved in with my parents. Its so hard to be the parent with grandma always behind me undermining my decisions, especially with an 8 u.o. brother demonstrating how to get spoiled every way from Sunday. My husband and I have had some jams in the past so I know our plan is to have a security deposit and 3 months rent saved up before we move anywhere. we will pay the 3 months ahead so we have some cusioning for emergencies, like the car falling apart. Then just make sure you are caught up on all your bills that will go with you like cell phone and insurance and have another months rent in the bank at least for good measure. That way you don't end up in a rough time and have to go back to moms. hope this helps!
    GoldenLinds

Answer by GoldenLinds at 3:34 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I would save 3 - 6 months worth of expenses while you have the chance. Make sure you carefully budget for the next few months, and do some research on how much it will cost you to live away from your mother.
    MomToBeISaMom

Answer by MomToBeISaMom at 4:27 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Is this the same poster from the other day that saw the house down the street?

I would say check into places for rent around you (or for sale depending on what you want) and when you see something in the range you think you can afford then save enough to make the rent for two months, then around $125 per month for electricity, $125 per month for water (if it won't be included), $200 a month for gas for vehicles (if you have two and make a lot of trips), enough for childcare for two months if you pay for care, etc.

Just take your bills you have now and will have there and save enough for one or two months. Remember that most companies (rent, water, electric, cable, etc) will charge deposits.

Good luck!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:04 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• It is time to be on your own with your hubby and child. I would guess not knowing where you live it would take about $3,000 for first, last and security and moving costs. I hope your mom will understand it's time to let you go. Good luck hon

zbee

Answer by zbee at 4:08 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• How much money do you need? Well, it depends on how much rent and utilites are in your area. Plus, do you need to buy furniture and other household stuff? If you do, you'll need even more money for supplies.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:08 PM on Sep. 16, 2010