Coughing in a Young Child?

We have been plagued with a cough that is really deep, sounds almost like barking and mostly at night. She started before she was even 1 and is now 3. It seems to come and go. Yes we are working with her ped on this. His first thought allergies, second thought asthma. I got asthma when I was about 9 and it comes and goes when it wants to bother me. What are your thoughts as to what this could be?? I really want to explore all possiblities. I can't help but want to think something is being over looked here.

Sarasmoonflower

Asked by Sarasmoonflower at 3:34 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Kids' Health

• DS has asthma which manifests mostly as coughing, frequently to the point of vomiting. He wheezes some, but usually only with illness. I wouldn't rule out asthma and honestly, if its been 2 years and the ped still has no answers, its time for a referral to an asthma and allergy clinic and/or a pulmonologist.

mom2ljh

Answer by mom2ljh at 9:33 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• My oldest had that. She was diagnosed with Cough induced asthma. She was put on Singular allegri meds The nice think is it is something they out grow. She is know almost 7 yrs old and has not had an attach in over a yr.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 3:37 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I would too quess allergies and asthma.
    Then I would think of acid reflux.
    This is not as common, but I had a cough forever and when I had my acid refulx treated the cough went away.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 3:55 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Have you noticed a pattern? Does it happen during certain times of the year? I guess that could be both, though, as seasonal allergies can aggravate asthma. Good luck.

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 8:56 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Maybe try no dairy
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 12:25 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I would say asthma.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:14 AM on Sep. 18, 2010