what are ways to cut back and save money?

Please dont judge me. Im a single mom of 3. Child support is never paid to me on time (if at all).
I am struggling day by day to make ends meet. Iv got no phone, cable or internet. Im on here now by my phone that is paid for by my father at his choice. I only use my washer and line dry my clothes. I cloth diaper my younger two kids so i dont havethat extra cost. we dont use paper towels or paper dishes.

Im asking if anyone knows of other things i can do to save money that maybe i wouldnt think of.

Keaton_Hazel

Asked by Keaton_Hazel at 3:35 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Money & Work

• Goodness I wish I did have a good answer for you.
    Can you move in with your parents?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 3:42 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I'm sure your already shopping generic grocerie stores rather then the brand name expensive ones but remember startches and vegetables are cheeper then meats. If you leave meat out of your dinners 2-3 times a week it will really help. If you want some vegetarian dinners just send me a message. My 4 year old eats them and hes normally a picky one.

Another way is to get a toaster over and crockpot. Cooking in either one uses less electric then your average stove/ oven and if you use the crock you can make extra and freeze it so that when things are on sale you can make them up and have them latter.
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 3:55 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Coupons and very careful grocery and meal planning helped me save a lot. A few dollars here and there help.
    MomToBeISaMom

Answer by MomToBeISaMom at 3:55 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• All I can really say is get off brand items unless unavailable. And if you have an Aldi's or a discount store near by try that. Maybe try to look into food stamps thats been helpful for several of my single friends.
    shsutterfield

Answer by shsutterfield at 4:06 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I do live with my mom and sister. We all are struggling together. I get food stamps for my kids but it doesnt go far so i will try cutting meats, i just assumed we needed them. A toaster oven would be a good idea cause we eat alot of chicken nuggets lol.

Thanks :)
    Keaton_Hazel

Comment by Keaton_Hazel (original poster) at 4:08 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Is there anything else that is state funded that could help you out? I only have one child, but since I'm unemployed, I live off of food stamps, unemployment, and state insurance. I usually go to sams club to stock up on food so I don't have to worry about getting to the store when I don't have the money for gas. I live with my boyfriend and every last dollar of his goes to rent. I would just try to cut back on the meat like the PP said. I'm sorry, I wish I could help you more! Good luck!
    Stephernie88

Answer by Stephernie88 at 4:34 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Thanks a lot everyone. It just sucks. This time last year we were doing great. Then my kids dad walked out with $2k that was in saving, mom lost her job and i cant afford daycare for 3 so i cant work. We are down to the basics and still late on every bill.

Im not giving up tho. We just go day by day and have had a lot family time that we didnt before, so im thankfull of that. :)
    Keaton_Hazel

Comment by Keaton_Hazel (original poster) at 4:45 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• good luck hun!!! i make my own laundry soap! $4 of soap last a family of 6 a month! if u want the recipe i can message it to u! it is very simple and only takes about 20mins to do! im sorry like is so hard for u. i hope this get better. u could try getting the cops involved in helping u get ur child support it might help or it could be more trouble than its worth its ur choice! good luck mama!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 5:30 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Sadly im in Fl and they system here is so messed up when it comes to child support. They say as long as he makes a payment of even a dollar in 30 days then theres nothing they can do. He has to be 31 days late before they will step in. Ill have you know too that he is orderd to pay $506 a month and makes over $3k a month... And he will just sit back and watch us like this and hes totally cool with it. Scumbag.
    Keaton_Hazel

Comment by Keaton_Hazel (original poster) at 5:39 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• We have been getting lots of our groceries thru Angel Food Ministries. You should check it out to see if there is one in your area. That helps a lot on the grocery bill.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 5:50 PM on Sep. 15, 2010