do you let your kids listen to eminem?

or any artist who most find offensive?

Hollea

Asked by Hollea at 3:46 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• My only is grown so he listens to whatever he wants to ..

While growing up though. We never censored music/musical artist. Just like we did not censor other forms of art (painting, sculpture, literature...etc).. I do not believe in censoring art. That's me though.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:55 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I left out.. I do teachable moments as well. I don't censor anything, music or movies. I don't let those rule how he behaves. He can learn how not to act or how to act from all that. I am his teacher and he learns from me by using those tools.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:52 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Yes and they also love Korn, Rob Zombie, Metallica. The only artist I'd have to ban is Justin Bieber. There will be none of that in my house.
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 4:37 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My oldest is 10 - he has access to a radio and has heard an eminem song or two. I use them as "teachable moments". The 6 year old doesn't have access.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 3:50 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I do-and actually Eminem is one of the ONLY rappers we listen to. Rap just isn't our thing I'm not much for the Slim Shady stuff but I don't censor what they lsiten to. We do talk about messages that are in the music though and my son isn't really into to much music, but my daughter always has been and doesn't like to hear songs that are degrading, or hate filled or any of that. She is VERY much interested in the lyrics- she likes her music to have meaning and to be powerful and uplifting. She doesn't like pop music for the most part and isn't a fan of love songs or what we call fluffy music
    and I don't care if there is swearing- like I said it's the message that matters
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 4:39 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• we were out a couple weeks ago and actually bought an Eminem CD at a used book store- and nowhere on it did it say it was edited-so we put it in to lsiten to it and were like oh NO! She told me that she does not believe in editing. That if you feel it should be edited to hear it, then you shouldn't be listening to it at all.
    my 16 yr old makes me very proud ;)
    and we LOVE Korn too- although I have a hard time listening to ADIDAS or Last Legal Drug when she is in the car-since she sings along!...I usually skip them ;)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 4:45 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Yes but I am selective about which songs she can hear.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:49 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• the only songs i can think of i don't want my 5 yr old to hear...is a.d.i.d.a.s. and the pussy song.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 3:54 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• no. she picks up on lyrics. i dont want her repeating things from 36 mafia.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 3:54 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• i think eminem would be fine
    shay1130