is cereal really needed?

My son is a great eater, but doesn't really like cereal. I've started mixing fruit in with it and he likes it with the fruit. Some people say its important for his growth that he has the cereal. Other people say I can just skip the cereal. Did anyone else skip cereal?

GingerMom33

Asked by GingerMom33 at 3:57 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Cereal is not necessary for growth, but the iron is necessary. If you don't want to give him cereal just make sure he's getting iron from somewhere, if he's on formula with added iron it should be enough. If he's breastfed then lots of dark green veggies and ask his pediatrician next time you go if he needs a supplement. He shouldn't, but iron is an important nutrient for brain growth.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 4:33 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• cereal is not needed. we practice baby-led weaning, in regards to solids, so we skipped right over baby food and went straight to table foods. cereal is not necessary, if baby has a variety of nutritious foods to eat. if you cook things in a cast-iron skillet, that will add iron to your food :)

kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 4:59 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Cereal is just filler fluff and it can do more harm than good. I wouldn't even use purees. You can wait until he can sit up and eat real chunks. I follow the "Baby Led Weaning" philosophy. If food has to be liquidy, they aren't ready to eat.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:01 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Babyled weaning/solids
    I triple that thought.

Cereal does taste like butt :) I agree.
    Babies who drink formula get too much iron to begin with and cereal just adds to the constipation issues. Breastfed babies don't need it and it interferes with the highly absorbably iron in breastmilk. Waste of money and taste buds ! :)
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 6:53 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• my dd ate it at first but after she started other foods she wouldnt touch it. she was always in atleast the 80% range for growth.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 4:01 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My son is in the 90% height percentile and 25% weight. Tall and thin.
    GingerMom33

Comment by GingerMom33 (original poster) at 4:03 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• LOL...mine is 14y/o and in the 5% for weight and 50% for height.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:05 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Cereal is not needed. They just recommend it cause its bland and can be easily digested in some. If baby is doint well on other things cereal is not needed :) My son ate cereal for less than a week total in his life and hes 14 months and as of his 12 month appointment he was 92% for height and 40% for weight. Happy healthy little man :) Skip it, it tastes like butt anyways :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 5:05 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• i skipped it! it made her not be able to poop! not good for any of us! she like oatmeal tho! u can try that it u want i mix it with fruit!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 5:20 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Our pediatrician said for the amount of iron gained, it wasn't necessary. We use it since she LOVES it
    muptgirl23

Answer by muptgirl23 at 5:50 PM on Sep. 15, 2010