is it okay to give myself a baby shower after i have the baby?

i've had a few ultrasounds done and couldn't find out if i'm having a boy or girl so everyone said to wait to have a baby shower. is it okay to set one up for myself or should i let my mom plan it?

mshodges87

Asked by mshodges87 at 3:59 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Family or friends should do it. But they might ask for your input.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:00 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Ettiquette says no. But I know people who have. It depends on your social circle and whether or not people are going to be put out by a breech of ettiquette or not. Personally I would have no problem attending a Welcome Baby party put on by the new parents.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 4:01 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Sure!! I'd come to your party!! :) congrats on the baby!!
    mysevenkids

Answer by mysevenkids at 4:01 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• It's not okay to give YOURSELF a shower period.

But if someone else offers to do it for you there isn't anything wrong with doing it after the baby is born. That's how Italian baby showers are traditionally thrown because many Italians believe it's bad luck to have a baby shower before the baby gets here. My family is Italian and many of the women in my family have "Sprinkles" thrown for them after the baby arrives. Usually within a week of baby's arrival.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 4:03 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I see no problem with it. It could be a welcome home baby party. You give your kids a birthday party right??? What is the difference? Please someone tell me.
    cloverlover24

Answer by cloverlover24 at 4:04 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I would have to say that usually someone else throws you a baby shower... But in my case I will more than likely have to throw my own because pretty much the only support I have if my BF and I don't think him throwing a "Babyshower" is the best idea... So I say if you want to throw it yourself go for it!
    mz.mommi2b

Answer by mz.mommi2b at 4:06 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• i would say that throwing the party for yourself can come across as rude because its like asking for presents in a way...
    We just moved here to our new duty station and I've had 3 different offers of baby showers from people who hardly know us... people love to throw baby showers... Let someone else do it for you
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 4:10 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I think its fine personally, I came from not wanting one single thing until after the baby was born- however- you live and learn. What you could do instead of calling it a shower, is call it a "Meet and Greet" your new baby. This way, if you feel comfortable with people visiting your brand new bundle of joy- at this time they get to see the new baby and bring a gift. Make sure they wash their hands before handling the baby. This works out fine, if your energy is low, because you will usually have guests doing a lot for you, and who doesn't want that? Those extra hands can also help you set up high chair or crib, put the bouncy seat together and take tags off baby clothes, and help you to organize things in the baby room if you don't mind. Make something hearty like turkey sausage with spinach lasagna, with salad and some breadsticks, a few bottles of wine, and you have got yourself a gala! Congrats and good luck!
    calatres

Answer by calatres at 4:15 PM on Sep. 15, 2010