What are your thoughts on the situation of anchor babies????

For those who are not familiar with the term, an "anchor babe" are babies that are born to people who are not legal citizens of the US. The child, under the protection of the 14th ammendment, is a citizen because they are born on US soil. Since laws will not permit the child to be left without parents, the parents are then made citizens as well. This includes people who have used illegal means and fraud to get here...

I am on the fence about this one... Of course, those illegals that are doing nothing but sucking the system dry, not paying any taxes, etc I do not feel that they should be given a pss because they procreate. But what about the others? I.E.- My SO is Japanese and has been here 9 years on a work visa. As far as I know, if we were to havea child together he would not automatically be given a Green Card and he actually works here legally AND pays taxes (more than me at $1000 a month!)

You thoughts ladies?

BriHan06

Asked by BriHan06 at 4:11 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think an interpretation by the Supreme Court is in order because I think "anchor babies" are based on an unconstitutional reading of a nineteenth century amendment meant to insure former slave children where not denied citizenship. Only babies born to legally entereing aliens, whether legally working or visiting, should be granted citizenship.
    annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 4:47 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• We need to start enforcing the law. When illegals give birth they need to be given a choice. Take their child back home with them (they would be welcome back at age 18 because they are citizens by law) or sign the child over so they can be adopted by a wonderful caring legal family and go on to live the American dream their birth parents want them to have. The mothers need to be deported back home.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 4:23 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I think that the US should start doing what other countries do. If both of your parents aren't citizens of the country, YOU are not a citizen. You are not entitled to anything a citizen of the country has because of citizenship. PERIOD. The U.S. needs to start thinking about the CITIZENS of this country that pay taxes, work, and contribute to society. Everyone else can fend for themselves. I know that seems harsh, and I am not trying to start a fight. But think of it like this:
    If you were on a boat that started to sink, and you were able to get onto an escape raft with only enough food for your family, would you let others onto the raft? Even if it meant your family might starve and die? Personally, I wouldnt. My family is first.
    And that is how I think about illegal immigration.
    (FYI My grandparents came from Mexico with my mother when she was 16. They applied to come, and waited 5 years. They did it the right way)
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 5:19 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• the parents are then made citizens as well.

Thats actually not true

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 4:46 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• oops. refresh is my friend. :)
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 5:04 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• If the mom is not a citizen then, IMO the child should not be either.
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 5:22 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• It's honestly pisses me off. Illegals come into this country have their baby here so they can take advantage of our system so they can just sit there and live off the state and st on their asses. While real Americans pay for them to be here
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:14 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• The anchor babies and their ILLEGAL parents need to go back to whichever country they hailed from, once it is safe for the infant to do so.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:05 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• "Sweet- there is article on here about it and she says that they defintiely do get citizenship at that point. So what happens then???? "

Bri, I don't read that in t article you linked AT ALL...only about thcitizenshp of children. And it's not true anyway. The 14h Amendment ONLY applies to the children.,NOT the parents. Further, your article is an opinion piece, not fact.

The bare bones fact: The illegal immigrant mother of an "anchor baby" remains an illegal immant until she goes through the proper channels.

What conservatives want is to strip automatic citizenship for these children. And you know? I agree.. but NOT RETROACTIVELY. Going forward.

Still, it takes YEARS to pass consitutional Amendment. Don't hold your breath.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:53 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Nope this is a BAD thing. I am all for children getting the best life possible but a lot of times pregnant woman come here illegally on purposly have their children here to become citizens.. Another way of beating the system... Yea let's give more criminals free passes...
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 12:48 AM on Sep. 16, 2010