finger foods

my son is 10 and half months old and eats table food and no baby food but i let him feed himself even if he makes a mess. but he grandmother feeds him,is there any recomendations on any finger foods i can get for him. she worried that hes gonna get choked but i feel like he needs to learn to chew and feed him self.

gurlieracer4

Asked by gurlieracer4 at 2:46 PM on Oct. 17, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Gerber puffs or any of the diced fruits and veggies they carry are good starting points. I also give my babies at that age diced bananas, lightly toasted bagels, waffles, pancakes, Gerber yogurt melts and a bunch of other things. As long as it's soft enough and small enough, he should do just fine.
    patsfan013

Answer by patsfan013 at 2:50 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I think you are right to let him learn how to chew and feed himself. I would just keep an close eye on him be ready that JUST IN CASE something was to happen that you would be ready to rip him outta the high chair to do the heimlic (sp?) manuvor on him! He's gotta learn some how! You're luck yhe eats table food my 11 mo old barely will. And when he does sometimes he does choke a little and sometime I run over there almost ready to get it out but he does fine! So I don't think you should worry about it too much.
    mrsCliffy05

Answer by mrsCliffy05 at 2:54 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Try things like cooked carrots, toast, cubed potatoes, cheese, bananas, boil an apple/pear and cut it in cubes, squash, sweet potaotes, steamed cauliflower. All of these if they are boiled or steamed and cut into small enough pieces will be the perfect size for a little chewer. One thing our son liked was peas and we didn't want him to have the skins so we would sit there and pop the pea out of the skin. We no longer do this or have the time to do this! lol
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 3:12 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Gerber makes jars of diced finger foods too. Along with the puffs and the dried fruits and the yogurt melts. I mean, it is a bit more expensive, but they are just the right size for little ones, so it may put your mind at ease a little.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:20 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• My twins are 10 1/2 months also and they eat finger foods and feed themselves too. some of their favorites are...Thins sliced deli meat, cheese, carrots, green beans, peas, bread, bagels, canned fruit, brocolli, beans (if you rinse them first it's less messy), pasta (no sauce), CHEERIOS, gerber puffs
    twinsmom1107

Answer by twinsmom1107 at 3:41 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Yeah, the gerber puffs and teething biscuits were one of the first things I gave my son at that age. Then we went with the little Crunchers!
    INmommyof1

Answer by INmommyof1 at 3:57 PM on Oct. 17, 2008