What meds are given to mothers who get postpartum psychosis?

I had ppd and i know i had ppp as well, though i didnt tell anybody because i was scared and afraid of getting my daughter taken. I am now pregnant again and am curious what medications are given for ppp.

A.D.P

Asked by A.D.P at 4:25 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would assume antipsychotic medications that are used to treat regular mental illness. There are tons of them in 2 catagories of atypical and typical antipsychotics. For a list you could check wikipedia or something. Just off the top of my head there are Seroquel, Risperdal, Zyprexa, Abilify, Geodon, Clozaril...Maybe mood stabilizers could be used too like Lithium, lamictal, depakote. (I know alot about psych meds LOL) And also therapy. Don't be afraid of treatment though. Keep talking to your doctor for your saftey and the safety of your baby. Good luck!!
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 4:35 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• i had it after my son i told the doc i need something for it, its normal is what my doctor told me so talk to ur doctor. dont wait u dont want to be like britney spears lol
    twimommy

Answer by twimommy at 9:58 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I am not sure, but ppd and ppp are so common. Please don't be afraid to talk to someone about it! You and your familys safety and happiness is worth talking to someone about it. I had ppd, and no insurance. I now take fish oil and B12 vitamins. They have helped me almost as much as anti depressants. Good luck and congrats on your upcoming family addition.
    GingerMom33

Answer by GingerMom33 at 10:00 PM on Sep. 15, 2010