How do I explain to my 4 year old that his dad and I are separated and aren't going to be living with eachother for a little bit?

shsutterfield

Asked by shsutterfield at 4:27 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• They understand more than we give them credit for. Just explain that mommy and daddy are having trouble getting along right now and need a break. Tell him daddy still loves him but that daddy will be sleeping someplace else for a while. Just make sure he knows you both love him a lot.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 4:32 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Are you going to work things out or is this for good? My nephews sadly had to hear it from me about there parents, they were 2 and 4 at the time. Don't suger coat it but keep it simple. I waited for them to bring it up and I said something along the lines that mommy and daddy love you but they don't know how to love each other anymore. It's okay though because now you get more specail mommy time and more specail daddy time. Do you have any questions?
    They did and they were cute questions and gosh darn they were excited about 2 Christmas'!
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 4:58 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• That is tough. Whateve ryou say, just make sure to make it clear that it is not the child's fault and that you love him very much.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 5:20 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• just make sure you tell him that you both love him, but don;t know if you live with daddy anymore.
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 5:58 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Just explain it to them.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 7:35 AM on Sep. 16, 2010