How many people had side effects from using fenugreek? Would Mother's Milk Tea be better than just taking fenugreek?

I pump exclusively. My little one refuses to nurse, no matter what. His pediatrician suggested I take fenugreek. I asked if anyone had used it in some forums and several women complained with nausea and diarrhea as a side effect, though some said it worked wonders for them. Some also suggested I try Mother's Milk Tea.

How many people have had side effects from taking either? And would one be better to take than the other?

JacksMom678

Asked by JacksMom678 at 4:35 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I take Fenugreek, 3 capsules, 3 times daily. The only effects I have noticed are that I smell like maple syrup once in a while and I drink a lot more water. Occasionally It can make my stomach hurt, but only for a few minutes. That's normally only if I haven't eaten before I take it, if I take it with food it doesn't bother me at all.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 4:45 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• try eating lots of oatmeal. you can also try a non-alcoholic dark beer. fenugreek should be taken with blessed thistle to help increase effectiveness. the more milk plus capsules by motherlove are supposed to work great! there is a list of galactogogues on kellymom.com.

kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 4:54 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I did both. The tea is a bit weaker; I wouldn't do it alone. Most moms only experience the maple syrup smell.

I see you're in the August moms group, so baby's pretty new? It still is possible to get him to breast. (Mine refused for two solid weeks!) But in the meantime, make sure you're pumping often...every two hours waking.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:56 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• i took it and it made me have bad gas! i EP too!! go us! but i was having some trouble with my supply and i found out from a friend that if u drink a protein drink once a day it doubled my supply!! i take herbalife shake mix. www.herbaloft.com is the website and they are amazing but u can drink special k too or anything else u can find! i asked my pedi and she said if was fine for the baby! and best of all it might help u lose some of that baby weight! :-)! good luck! oh and if u havent already join the group on here for EPing moms they are the best and can help with anything!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 5:14 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I didn't have any side effects from fenugreek other than it made me stink like syrup.... for that reason I stopped taking it. I tried the tea... BLECK! Tasted like grass! LOL What I used was called More Milk Plus... the only problem I had with this one was it sometimes gave me heartburn.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:47 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Taking the pills is better because then you know the exact dose, you can't do that with the tea. Lots of good info on dosing and side effects etc. at http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milksupply/fenugreek.html

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:58 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I haven't tried fenugreek, but I drink the tea all the time with no side effects. With that said, I also have never noticed a milk increase from it.
    GingerMom33

Answer by GingerMom33 at 9:55 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I hated how badly I smelled of maple syrup. I would burp and I'd have the taste of maple syrup in my mouth. It was so gross. I took a ton of it and it never increased my milk supply. I was disappointed. The mother's milk tee didn't necessarily taste good, but that worked well for me I'd recommend that. Good luck and good for you for pumping instead of just moving straight to formula. Not that there is anything wrong with formula (in my opinion), but you have to work so hard to pump for your baby. I applaud any mama who does so, as I had to for my son. :)
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 10:13 PM on Sep. 15, 2010