to spank or not to spank?

I recently discovered that spanking does not work for my child! I spank her when she does something wrong, it just makes the situation worse. She will either laugh. Or the behavior worsens. I'm relieved, because I was never really for spanking anyways! Time out is effective, and the behavior changes! Do you spank, or not? why?

Amber211

Asked by Amber211 at 4:46 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I spank in "red light" situations. Where there is no time to explain
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 4:47 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Ok, i don't know what happened there. I spank when there is no time to explain that what they're doing is wrong.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 4:48 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I try other methods, but have spanked. I was spanked, but not often. There are some kids out there that need a good whack every now & then. Call me old fashioned, but I still think it's called discipline, not child abuse!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:50 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Yes, we do spank when the situation warrants it. However, spanking doesn't always work either. For example, spanking or just even swatting my 4 year old does nothing, but placing her in her bedroom with the door closed so the trick! She does her screaming and crying and when she is done she comes out and says she is sorry and is in a much better mood and minds. Now for my 10 year old, he is too big to spank. So we ground him from things as in toys, video games, outside time with friends, ect....
    lil_Army_Wife05

Answer by lil_Army_Wife05 at 4:51 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• It varies from child to child. For some kids, lectures or loosing privileges works...some kids need their backs doors painted red.

Find out what works for YOUR CHILD and most importantly BE CONSISTENT!
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 4:51 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Well, my son is way too young to be spanked currently. I may or may not as he gets older. More than likely, I won't. I think it would bother me too much to spank him. I always planned on it before I had children, because I think if done correctly, it can be an effective disciplinary tool. However, now that I have my own child, i just don't think I'll be able to do it. I hope it's not necessary.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 4:53 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• SPANKING SHOULD BE SAVED FOR SERIOUS SITUATION A GOOD THREAT USUALLY WORKS IN MY HOUSE
    tazinmommy

Answer by tazinmommy at 4:53 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My POV on this subject is ---- depends on the child and what I am punishing them for. If I know it will work and other things won't, I do it, but if I know from the start it won't work, I won't do it.
    Sarasmoonflower

Answer by Sarasmoonflower at 4:55 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Yes, I did spank and it was so rare. It only took a couple times to get the message across. For us, timeouts were a useless tool and ended up being playtime in the corner and messing around.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:07 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I havent spanked my dd yet, but I plan on doing so. I was spanked as a child and I see nothing wrong with it. I was NEVER abused, my parents spanked me with their hand on my butt only. No belts, no spoons. But a hand on the butt was enough. And I have grown to love and respect my parents for it. I was always more well behaned than other kids my age, and I do believe it was because I was spanked. I knew there were consequences to my actions. If my parents tried time out, I would laugh. I would sit there and think how stupid it was, and as soon as I could, I got up and did it again. But the minute my parents told me that a spanking was coming, I straightened up and behaved.
    I plan to attempt other forms of punishment first, but my DD is 16 months old, and already thinks time out is a joke. She ASKS to be put in time out when she does something wrong. It isnt a punishment. But I will continue to try other methods.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 5:10 PM on Sep. 15, 2010