Preschool Teacher

DD's preschool teacher isn't exactly a people person. She's the type that seems to want to just do her job without people bugging her. This is fine with me as long she is good to the kids and DD has never complained, so I've been okay with dealing with this non-people person preschool teacher.

Yet today when I went to pick DD up, the teacher seemed very irritated with DD after just a few seconds of her not being able to decide whether to ride the bus or go home with me and I did not find it appropriate the way she was speaking to DD.

Picture how irritated you would be if your child went back and forth with their decision for 30 minutes...THAT'S how irritated the teacher was...after not even a minute...and she was maybe involved in 15 seconds of it.

Is this something I should overlook? Am I over-reacting? Should I say something to someone?

BTW...we cannot change classes and DD will be in her class next year too.

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 4:51 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Maybe wait and see if it happens again, or if you notice something so silly with other kids. Let the first one slide.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 4:54 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I would let the teacher know that if I am there, I will tend to my child if they are ridding with me or take them on to the bus myself if that's what she wants to do. She doesn't have to be involved in your child's back and forth moment when you are right there.
    Sarasmoonflower

Answer by Sarasmoonflower at 4:53 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I think to me it would depend on what she said to the child and how she said it. However, I can understand how bugged the teacher maybe because after all she is with 15 or more children all day or even half days. At the end of the day they are tired just as we parents get. If your child was going back and forth on riding the school bus for 30 minutes I can see how bugged someone could be. After all the teacher has other children she must tend too. As for not being a people person, I think that is okay. You don't have to be a people person to teach. Some adults find it easier to deal with children other than adults themselves. I do have a question, why was your child going back and forth on riding the school bus when you were there to pick her up? Kinda seems a wasted trip to the school if the child was going to be riding the bus home.

lil_Army_Wife05

Answer by lil_Army_Wife05 at 5:01 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• talk to the teacher or whatever the top dog is called. tell her you don't appreciate the rudeness towards your daughter. imagine what that rudeness could lead too. If she's not a people person, she needs to find a new job.
    summerdaile

Answer by summerdaile at 4:54 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I would recommend increasing communication with the teacher. It seems counterintuitive, but more open and smooth relations with you could improve her relationship with your child.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 5:00 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• first of all, you weren't there all day, so it could have been an extraordinary day overall. sometimes the littlest thing can offset the class, and like a domino effect, it continues all day. we all have days like that. secondly, you only witnessed this one small exchange, and because it was with your dd, you took notice..maybe moreso than usual??
    i'd blow it off. if the dd mentions it, or other things ON HER OWN, you should look into the situation more, or have a one2one with the teacher. give her the benefit of the doubt, before going over her head. for one reason.. the director most likely isn't in all the classrooms at once, and can only take what you say. its not a fair game. after speaking to the teacher, if you really feel you need to discuss it with the director, then do so.
    just step back for a minute, first. clear your head.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:08 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I'd let it ride this time. Make a note of it. Could be she had a HORRIBLE day or is terribly PMS or something is going on. But if anything else happens, I'd talk to the principal. My kid's teacher was similar but at the end of the year he could read and so I knew she did her job despite being a tool socially.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:10 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• DD didn't go back and forth for 30 minutes...she went back and forth for less than a minute. Actually, she said she ran up to me and then she said that she wanted to ride the bus so I took her to where the kids were and the teacher said to her very irritatedly "you going to ride home with your mom?" DD just looked at her probably not knowing what to say and so the teacher said again, even more irritatedly "are you going to ride home with your mom?" I didn't hear, but I can assume DD said yes because the teacher brought her back to me and said to DD (snottily) that she couldn't ride the bus home because there was no changing her mind after that. DD looked up at me like she was ready to cry so I asked her if she wanted to ride the bus home, she said "yes." So I took her back to the kids and told the teacher she was riding the bus. So then the teacher grumpily says to DD "fine, but don't go whining about it!"
    AllAboutKeeley

Comment by AllAboutKeeley (original poster) at 5:11 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I live 15 minutes away and I was in town and thought that I'd stop by and see if she wanted to ride the bus home. I intended the entire time to give her the choice on if she wanted to ride with me or on the bus.
    AllAboutKeeley

Comment by AllAboutKeeley (original poster) at 5:12 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I would not like it at all. I am fully aware of how frustrating it can be dealing with so many preschoolers all day. Geez, I have one and I'm ready to scream by the end of the day sometimes..lol. But when you take the job of working with young children, you have to be patient. It's like any other profession and you have to get over things and do your job and let it all out at home, not on the kids.
    miraclebabymine

Answer by miraclebabymine at 5:15 PM on Sep. 15, 2010