How many times does your 8 month old breastfeed orhave a bottle in a day?

Trying to add solids and can't figure out which bottle to eliminate.

Aprilsf

Asked by Aprilsf at 4:54 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no breast-feedings or bottles of breast-milk should be eliminated. solids are only an afterthought until after the first year of life. they are for tasting and experience, not for nutrition, during the second half of the first year.

kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 4:56 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I let her breast-feed as often as she wants to. I usually give her solids a couple times a day when I know she will be getting hungry, but before she is so hungry that she only wants her milk. She will only eat like half a jar and then I let her nurse a little bit to fill herself the rest of the way up.
    TilmannsGirl

Answer by TilmannsGirl at 4:57 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• it is recommended, and best practice, to nurse first, and have solids only after nursings, kind of as a dessert. try nursing first and then she may have as much solids as she wants :)

kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 5:01 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• You can feed your child however you want! Don't worry about elimination of a bottle but if you are weening onto a sippy than lunch is easier. Just feed the cereal and jar foods first and let you LO top off with a 4 or 6 oz bottle. Ask your LOs dr if you have questions on which jar foods bc they will take in to condsideration any family allergies to foods. Have fun!
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 5:02 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• PEOPLE SHE IS USING BOTTLES NOT BREAST FEEDING!
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 5:03 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• if you are breastfeeding, it is important to nurse first and give solids after. because formula never changes and is devoid of many of the natural and wonderful things that breast-milk has, ff babies need extra nutrition. breast-milk is the perfect nutrition for the first year of your baby's life. nothing else is needed. baby food is not even necessary. we skipped right over baby food and went straight to table foods. please look on http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html and http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/babyledweaning.htm

kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 5:10 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• SINCE I AM THE ONLY ONE WHO HAS ANSWERED, I'LL ASSUME YOUR GENERALIZED AND CAPITALIZED STATEMENT IS DIRECTED AT ME. IF YOU READ THE QUESTION AGAIN, YOU WILL SEE SHE WROTE BREASTFED. ALSO, IF YOU LOOK AT HER FIRST REPLY, YOU WILL SEE SHE IS BREASTFEEDING. MAYBE YOU SHOULD FULLY COMPREHEND WHAT YOU ARE READING BEFORE YOU MAKE A REMARK LIKE THE ONE YOU DID.

kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 5:13 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Whether bottle or breast fed. Before age one, you always make sure they are full on those first. You then give small bites of finger foods after. Skip cereal. And if your baby needs liquidy food, then they aren't ready to eat yet. If baby can sit unassisted, Give small pieces of soft finger foods on her tray and let her feed herself.

SKIP jars and cereal. Feed milk above anything else. And remember that ANY food before one is for practice and fun.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:17 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• You don't eliminate bottles/nursing sessions to add solids. Give the bottle or nurse first, wait an hour, then give the solids. Milk or formula will still be her main source of nutrition. My 8 month old nurses 7 times a day on average (sometimes more during growth spurts). The chart her nutritionist gave me says that 5-6 bottles perday of formula or breastmilk for a total of 24-32 ounces is good for a baby this age.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 5:21 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My son is almost 9 months old and he still prefers bottles over food. His doctor told me to feed on demand. He usually takes a bottle in the morning with some fruit in cereal. After noon another bottle (sometimes solids) nap time another bottle and bedtime another. I would say about 5 a day for us but it varies depending on him really.
    Proudparent707

Answer by Proudparent707 at 5:24 PM on Sep. 15, 2010