HOW DO YOU GET A 3 YR OLD TO SLEEP IN THEIR OWN BED!

tazinmommy

Asked by tazinmommy at 4:55 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• jsut keep putting them back in thier own bed untill eventually they will give up! it can be a long and tiring process but will work.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 4:58 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 5:00 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• agreed. let them cry it out. My 3 yr old is like that. I just let him cry until he falls asleep.
    summerdaile

Answer by summerdaile at 5:01 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Super nanny's technique is to put them in their bed, tell them it's bedtime, say goodnight, and then sit at the doorway to the room facing away from the bed. Every time the child gets up you put him/her back in the bed and DO NOT talk. You may have to do it many times. The technique is probably posted at her website. GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:02 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 5:05 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• If your child is used to sleeping with you . . . I recommend a gentler approach. Put an extra sleeping surface next to your child's bed. Let your child fall asleep in his room and then get up and leave. When he/she wakes up and cries for you, come in and pat his /her back. If that doesn't put him back to sleep, lay down. After he/she falls asleep . . . leave again. It takes a while, but eventually your toddler will be used to going asleep in his own room and waking up without you there. Just don't let him/her into your bed again. If he needs mommy or daddy . . . . go to him . . . in his room.
    I did this when my little one was two. By the time she was three, she no longer needed to call for me . ..unless there was a real need.
    I am a psychotherapist, and usually do not recommend letting the baby "cry it out" alone. The super nanny technique of sitting at the door is the closest I would come to this.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:07 PM on Sep. 15, 2010