Vaccinate or not to vaccinate your teen?

Have you vaccinated your daughter with Gardasil? If so, has there been any side affects. I have not heard anything good about the vaccine.

Jerzymom

Asked by Jerzymom at 4:57 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Health

• my 12 year old got it with no side effects. and i would rather have a few side effects now than have to deal with my child having cancer later...
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 4:58 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I don't have teens yet but I would not do it. I have done research on this, spoken to physician friends and followed some stories with frightening side effects. I just wouldn't. It's another money maker for the pharm company. The fact that you're asking says you aren't totally comfortable with it. Lots of schools of thought on this and all vaccines but not this one and not the swine flu.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:59 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I put off doing both of my daughters and one of them actually convinced me to do it. She researched it. So I have had both of my teen daughters done. No side effects what so ever.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 5:04 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• i got it prolly 3 years ago and i got hpv the same year i got the shot. but there are 13 different types of hpv and the shot only says it protects against 3. my grandmother died of cervical cancer so my mom insisted i have the shot! doesnt seem to be helping much. but thats just me! i had my right ovary removed while i was 5 months pregnant last year b/c i had a cyst on it the size of a football! i might be wrong but i think cyst are one for the side effects! and i have a small cyst on my left ovary that was a lot smaller and not growing like the other so i got to keep my left ovary! so i had to deal with all that and risk the life of my un born child just for some stupid shot! i wouldnt do it if i were u!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 5:08 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Thank you all so much for your answers. I have already decided not to vaccinate. I see more bad then good from this. The ones who have had no side affects, consider yourself very lucky. HPV is a sexually transmitted virus, so if your child is NOT having sex, then why would she need it. I think regular pap smears are all you need to prevent cervical cancer.
    Jerzymom

Comment by Jerzymom (original poster) at 5:26 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• No!  I don't trust the vaccine.  My 13 year old dd brought the permission form home from school last week and I stated that she was not to have the vaccine.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 5:32 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Absolutely not.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 7:18 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• nope, DD as never had any vaccines, & never will (unless she chooses to as an adult of course)
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 12:25 AM on Sep. 16, 2010