Cursive?

Can your kids write in cursive? Came across this interesting article in a link from Time.com:

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Education/2010/0817/Beloit-College-Mindset-List-says-Class-of-2014-can-t-write-cursive

Do they still teach it? My son is only 3 so he hasn't gotten to that stage yet. I know how to write cursive of course, but I only do it when I sign my name. I remember when every assignment we did had to be in cursive. I sure don't miss it, LOL. And I can type out what I'm thinking much faster than I can write it out.

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 4:58 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in

• I had to teach it when I taught 3rd. I personally found it pointless to teach. Some of the kids hated it, and I couldn't read half their papers, for some needed to still perfect their PRINT. I NEVER write in cursive myself, unless to sign my name.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 5:39 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• No I don't believe they teach it anymore which I think is a shame.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 5:05 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I have no idea because my son is 1, but I hated cursive! lol
    Stephernie88

Answer by Stephernie88 at 5:00 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My son is 14 and he was taught. He does both in class. It is not a requirement on papers.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:07 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• theres no point to it. they tell you when you're a kid that you need to learn cursive because thats all they use in highschool and then the kid gets into highschool and everything is in manuscript
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 5:13 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Yes, they do teach it- at least at the school I teach at and at the school my son goes to
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 5:30 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• In my kids' school they learn cursive in 3rd grade.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 5:30 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• i never thought about it too much...maybe it will dye out soon...like telling time and tying shoes?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:44 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I know our schools still teach it. But no, my kids aren't old enough for that yet, so they don't know it. I love to write and do it all the time. At this point my hand writing is like half and half... I can't do just printing or just cursive without really trying. It's all kind of a hybrid...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:46 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Oh I love writing in cursive. That made me feel grown lol. My dd will learn it in 2nd and 3rd grade. She cant wait either.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 6:55 PM on Sep. 15, 2010