How do I get my 5 year old to stop lying?

My daughter Kaity is 5 she just started school this year and we have a big issue with her not telling the truth. She has already made the watch list in her class because she isn't truthful. What can I do to make her understand how important it is to tell the truth?

HOutlaw

Asked by HOutlaw at 5:19 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• my dad would tell us he was going to put us on the lie machine. He would get the jumper cables and connect them to our fingers and tell us he was going to ask us one last time and if we didnt confess that the cable would shock us...we would cry and tell the truth before he could get the jumpers on our fingers
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:21 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• How long has this been going on? Did it just start when she entered Kindergarden or has this been an ongoing issue and because she's getting in trouble you want to correct the problem? In any event, you stop her by punishing her for lying.
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 5:24 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• This is totally common for kids that age, at school I have the kids say "I wish ........ would happen." Or "I did do that but I wish I wouldn't have." In a time when you really want her to tell the truth, don't punish her for lying (or she'll be nervous to admit to it) but praise her for telling the truth.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 5:27 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I started when my son was little and told him that telling the truth is so important because there could be a time when I could protect him or stand up for him and if I don't trust him I won't know if he is telling the truth or not. He knows that having a trusting relationship is very important and he would not want me to doubt him when it really counts.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 5:37 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Its pretty common for children to say some things that are not true. I had a child say his father was dead when the father was just out of the picture(I had his older sister & mom remarried...the kids never knew their dad). Maybe that is how his mom told him, I dont know. I have had children lie right to my face after I saw them do something that they deny. I would just stress the importance of telling the truth for safety sake & for the fact you want people to trust you in life..
    babybutastink

Answer by babybutastink at 7:03 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Tell her if she keeps it up then when she really needs something nobody is going to believe her....btw where did she get it from?
    nicoleNjeanna

Answer by nicoleNjeanna at 10:35 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Tell her when she lies, it hurts people and makes you really sad.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:06 AM on Sep. 16, 2010