anyone else have chronic chapped lips, what do you do???

my lips are always chapped. i have to buy chapstick in bulk (and yes thats all i use, not lip balm) and i have to apply it up to 12 times a day. my lips can't be w/o it or they'll dry up and crack within minutes, but they're great with the chapstick on. i hate having to wear chapstick all the time, i even have to wear it to bed. i drink lots of water, in fact if i drank anymore i'd probably get water intoxication. i hate this. i just want to have natural, soft lips w/o having to grease them up all day. has anyone found a solution, also i don't lick my lips and it's year round in every kind of weather

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:22 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• hmm, i was going to ask if you drink enough water but apparently that's not the issue... you might want to see if you can see a dermatologist
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 5:23 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• chapstick works well for me. I always have some accessible
    asjones4

Answer by asjones4 at 5:24 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• You might try brushing your lips after brushing your teeth...I've heard that helps.
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 5:26 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• what may have happened is that because you always apply the chapstick, your lips do not moisturize themselves anymore. i don't know how to break the cycle!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:26 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I have the same problem and I HATE it! I use Vaseline in the little tubes and it helps while on but no matter what sort of weather we have I have chapped lips. It's like a vicious cycle. I read somewhere that once you start using chapstick (or whatever) your lips will stop producing something (I forget what) and therefore you will always need to grease them up. So, we are screwed I guess! It sucks! Mine are really bad right now for some reason...they actually hurt! I'm gonna bump you and check back to see if anyone has any advice!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 5:29 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I have the same problem as well and I just deal with it b/c I can't stand to put on chapstick but then my lips look so bad b/c they are so cracked up. if you find something let me know.
    sweet_mamaof3

Answer by sweet_mamaof3 at 5:31 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Is your mouth also dry? There is an auto-immune disease called Sjogren's (pronounced show-grin) syndrome that is the body attacking the moisture producing glands of the mouth, and or eyes or other areas of the body. Just something to maybe look into since it seems to be a chronic problem for you. Maybe ask your doctor. There are blood tests and biopsies that can be preformed to diagnose the condition.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 5:32 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I have the same problem. The only thing that works for me is Blistex Berry. I am a mouth breather so that dries mine out. There is an exfoliant for the lips..try bath & body works.
    miraclebabymine

Answer by miraclebabymine at 5:32 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• no my mouth is not dry at all, nor is my skin, just the lips
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:37 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I had the same problem when I was growing up so I had to use lip balm constantly. Now my lips don't moisturize on their own anymore (and haven't for years). I wish I knew of an alternative 20-30 years ago, LOL.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 5:39 PM on Sep. 15, 2010