advice on getting my dd to stop throwing food

My 1 1/2 dd started throwing her food. She knows I take it away from her if she throws it so if its veggies and she doesn't want to eat it she will throw it so I take it away! Smart ass. Any advice?

dbodani

Asked by dbodani at 5:30 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Take it away and put her down. Only offer veggies every time until she concedes and eats. She will catch on.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:31 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Have her clean it up, depending on her age she may need your help, but most kids do not enjoy cleaning
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 5:31 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My dd does the same thing I take her entire tray away and tell her when she is ready to finish eating without throwing i'll give it back and if she does again when I put it back I take it that she is done. so I don't force her..Good luck..oh and i make her clean up her own mess if I think she won't make it worse....Good luck
    sweet_mamaof3

Answer by sweet_mamaof3 at 5:37 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• We had this problem as well. We limited the mess by only giving our son a few bites at a time. If he threw, the meal was over. If I knew he was still hungry, we wait a bit and try again. He got the same food back (i.e. he couldn't skip veggies just by throwing, he just got more). If he threw it because he was done, I'd give it back to him and have him give it to me nicely. Keep your hand over his to prevent his from throwing it again and guide his motions. Just keep reminding yourself this is a phase that will end! It helps me keep my sanity!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 8:34 PM on Sep. 15, 2010