Anyone think the "good-smelling" markers are a bad idea?

I guess my SS has these at school and all the kids smell the markers on the paper or something (they smell like different fruits.) The other day I used a black Sharpie when helping him with his letters and he wanted to smell it! Yikes! Would anyone else be concerned about the "good smelling" ones teaching him it's okay to smell markers or am I just being paranoid?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:16 PM on Oct. 17, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• These have been around for decades. I used them in 2nd grade over 30 years ago and like your step son, I quickly learned that not all markers smell good. The chemicals in the "good smelling" ones are non-toxic and won't hurt him. Just make sure he knows that there are markers that are OK to smell and ones that are so stinky he won't want to smell them.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:24 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I remember using those. We had a girl in my class that had no common sense. We would all smell the blue and the red ones, well she thought she had grabbed a black one of those and was smelling a Sharpie. Yeah she ended up getting really dizzy, but like I said, girl had no common sense. (We were like 11 or 12) Theoretically if he is in school, you can teach him what the markers look like so he knows which ones he can smell and which ones he can't. The smellers are formulated to ensure no bad reactions with the children. I would just teach him the difference between the two like Kaycee recommended.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:34 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I agree with mom1stepmom1 and I want to add a little input. When you use those scented pens and markers it actually helps you remember what you are learning.

I used them all the way through college for my note cards and note taking as a way to help remember information. For some reason colors and scents helped remember information. It is also a known technique.

I graduated with two degrees this far and both times I have been my class valedictorian. BTW, I flunked out in high school, if that means anything to you.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 4:53 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I have stopped using these in my classroom. IMO, I do not think smelling these markers is a good precedent to set for a child.
    wendy1466

Answer by wendy1466 at 7:13 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I think scented trash bags are a worse idea...nothing like seeing your child come out of the bathroom with a bag on their head saying "mommy it smells pretty" Sure it has "not a toy, may suffocate" stamped all over the outside of a bag, but 3 year olds don't read!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:04 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• LOL OMG KABBOT! I think they're ok for OLDER kids. But I remember seeing Willy Wonka taught me that all fruit wallpaper is "lickable" and I licked all kinds of nasty things!!! Younger children shouldn't have them.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 11:58 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I remember those from when I was a kid. You learn pretty fast which ones are the good smelling ones and which ones just stink. It really wasn't an issue with us.
    lasfl

Answer by lasfl at 2:29 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• It's not paranoia!
    Non toxic or not, and I guarantee there is something in the markers that is toxic. They are after all made with chemicals the undeveloped. brains of little ones or even older kids should not be inhaling. As well, there are plenty of ways to remember things without associating it with the smell of food.
    A child introducted to these markers and told that it's ok to smell them will most definitely smell every marker they use or come across just sitting there for some time to come, in the hopes of it smelling like something yummy.

A perfect example of the dumming down cycle that is taking place in America!

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to comment.

JULES
    Juleslprice

Answer by Juleslprice at 9:25 AM on Sep. 4, 2013