Identy theft and bankruptcy

I'd like to know how I would go about finding out how someone could find out if they had their identity stolen?

We are about to file bankruptcy for my bf, he got some things in the mail, and turns out he is 130k in debt...it shows he has a 50k American Express card that he never had.

Stephernie88

Asked by Stephernie88 at 5:55 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Money & Work

• he needs to pull all of his credit reports. they should be able to tell him what address the credit card is registered to.
    norasmama

Answer by norasmama at 6:22 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I actually have the answer for both scenarios for you, my business I have represents a company that is #1 in the world for IDT protection and complete Restoration and Complete with a Lawyer on hand 24/7 ...like legal insurance, and for less that a cup of coffee a day to have it all from the Number one providers worldwide...Message me and I will give you the details.
    Happymom2-2

Answer by Happymom2-2 at 8:18 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Go to annualcreditreport.com and pull a free copy of his credit report and see if there is anything suspicious on it.

If there is have him put a 90 day freeze on his credit, then file a police report and send a copy to all three of the credit bureaus so that the freeze will stay on until he removes it.

It is also possible that a collection agency got his name mixed up with someone else. Or the social security numbers were similar. Or maybe it's just a scam to see if they can get him to pay some or part of a debt that he doesn't even owe.

Good luck getting it sorted out. I'm so sorry you guys are going through this.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 11:11 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Do you have homeowner's or renter's insurance? If so, check with them to see if identity theft was included on your policy. They might be able to help you with some of the legal expenses.

MomToBeISaMom

Answer by MomToBeISaMom at 10:03 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• He needs to check his credit report with all three credit bureaus and dispute anything that isn't his. If his identity has been stolen, he can have a note put in his file that they must contact him directly before any new account is open. He should also file a police report. Might also be a good idea to have his mail got a PO Box. Tell him also to shred any documents he throws away with an account number, his SSN or that's a credit application.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:43 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Have your hubad run his credit report and sipute those charges. it is up to the agency to prove that he actually had that card and have his crdit reports flagged as a victim of identity theft.
    blackqueen918

Answer by blackqueen918 at 12:25 PM on Sep. 16, 2010