Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Would u ask the state to stop garnishing if u were living together?

My s/o and I have lived together for a year now. I was honest with child support enforcement (we had a child together 10 yrs ago and split til 3yrs ago) and told them we had reconnected and had decided to move in together. He has decided he no longer wants the child support to be garnished, which I understand but I also have some reservations bout this. So I called the state and talked to them they said I needed to write a letter stating as much. Well I forgot to get the address while on the phone so I called back got a different operator who told me we had to be married to get it stopped. Not sure which is true, but either way even though we are living together I'm not sure if having it stopped is the best idea. I mean we live together and all bills are 50/50 but if we were to split it would be hell to get it restarted, wouldn't it? Would you ask the state to stop garnishing his wages if you were living together?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:01 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Relationships

Answers (9)
  • no

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:03 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

  • tell him you'll get it stopped when you two get married.

    Answer by lovinangels at 6:03 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

  • You don't feel safe. Then you definitely are not safe.
    If he was the type his salary had to be garnished to get what he owed, he is the type to do it again.
    Don't be a jerk. Keep it in enforce.

    Answer by tootoobusy at 6:05 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

  • I was in the same situation...and it seems like you're unsure about the relationship..which is a whole different issue. I'm in Ca and just went to the office to have the case close and i had to write why i was closing the case. A few weeks later i got a letter in the mail with a form saying that i just needed to fill it out if i wanted it re-opened. Now, 1 yr 1/2 later i reopened it and i dont have to go back to court ..everything is kept the same exact way..unless he asks for to modify the amount.

    Answer by youngmm at 6:09 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

  • if it doesn't feel right to you it's cause your conscience is telling you it's not the right thing to do. you'll regret it. if he leaves you it takes forever to get the cs reinstated and time. don't let him pressure you. don't do it. i often ignore my warnings and regret later for not listening to myself.

    Answer by melody77 at 6:12 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

  • So he is paying child support and 1/2 the bills? That doesn't seem right.

    Answer by marblesnuk at 6:48 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

  • If he wants to be with your and your child he shouldn't mind the wages being garnished. Obviously all of the money is going in the same pot anyway. It is for your child. If you do write that letter it will be very very hard to get it reversed. I would not do that if I were you. Take the money he gives each month and open up a college fund account and put the money directly into it for your childs college. If he complains about that then something is wrong.

    Answer by usbornebooksdh at 7:07 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

  • follow your instinct. if you are not comfortable stopping the garnishment, just tell him the last answer you got... it's not dishonest.

    Answer by figaro8895 at 8:50 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

  • First of all you need to make sure you get the correct information. I wouldnt stop the garnishment unless you absolutely have to

    Answer by noahsmommy12908 at 9:24 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.