How can i get legal assistance for a divorce?

I am on srs but they told me i can try but probably won't get legal assistance to get a divorce. I have been married almost 3 yrs and he has not worked half of it and i have asked him to leave and he won't. We don't even sleep in the same room any more.

Jennrey66

Asked by Jennrey66 at 6:06 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Relationships

• Go to your local DHHS office and they should have some information as to where you can get legal help. I know here in Maine they have a program for low income families that cannot afford a lawyer, and some lawyers will do pro-bono work for the experience. I hope this helps, and good luck with everything.
    sugaree

Answer by sugaree at 6:08 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• legalhelp.org
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 6:08 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I'm sorry I meant help.org.
    itsallabtthem84

• Got it wrong again---lawhelp.org
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 6:09 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Also Google your state and the words "bar association". Search for pro bono (free) legal assistance. Most bar associations offer it.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:59 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• i don't know what srs is but there is always legal aid - look up and see if you qualify. also, in my state, the state bar association has a deal where they refer you to a lawyer and it costs only $30 for a half an hour (it goes quick, so be prepared!! and when i used this option for a legal issue, it was my responsibility to make sure we didn't exceed the time - after that he would have charged me). also, if you just need financial assistance, here there is some form that can be completed that says i can't afford the hefty filing fee but can file for divorce anyway. also, if you feel up to the task, you can prepare yourself by reading the state code for family law for the things that apply to you.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 8:48 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I agree with sugaree. I had legal aid help me when I got divorced
    noahsmommy12908

Answer by noahsmommy12908 at 9:21 PM on Sep. 15, 2010