Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I was manipulated in giving up full custody of my 3 kids by my ex. How can I get them back?

We broke up @ one time because of my infedility ( he caused that, but i know its no excuse) I wanted to come back home and for me to we agreed if I gave up full custody of my kids to him everything will be ok. its just a piece of paper and no one will know about it. it just helps him know i will never leave again n he won't go through that pain again. i believed him too. n once it all got finalized its all gone down hill. i had finally left after staying through all that mental n verbal abuse just for the kids. n even though it hurts me so much to leave my kids there was nothing else i can do. so please someone help me. he states i can't reverse it, can i?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:10 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

Answers (7)
  • You can always try. But, it's going to be hard. You'll need a good lawyer & lots of family support.

    Answer by samurai_chica at 6:13 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

  • Why would you have agreed to that??? That is crazy!!!

    Answer by AdoptingMyChild at 6:15 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

  • You need to talk to a lawyer, but you may not be able to get custody back. My cousin gave up custody and it was supposed to be temporary while she finished college so that she could support her kids, and she has been unable to get custody back. She sees them every other weekend. The only way you will know is by getting a good lawyer.

    Answer by ohwrite at 6:15 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

  • my dad did the same thing to my mother

    Answer by shay1130 at 6:29 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

  • I'm sorry you were manipulated into doing that. I know manipulation can be a hard thing to deal with and so can the after effects. I have to agree with the first answer here. I wish you all the luck in the world with this. (((hugs)))

    Answer by firenicecream at 6:39 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

  • Definitely talk to a lawyer. The paperwork you signed, was it notarized by the court? Or was is just a written agreement between you and your ex?

    Answer by kathria at 11:27 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

  • Wow. You cheated and blame him. You signed full custody over to him and again blame him. At some point you need to take full responsibility for your actions. Go see an attorney and see what your options are. I would also start making better choices your kids need a mom who is responsible and not blaming others for how her life is going.

    Answer by tabekat at 12:04 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.