does your preschooler clean/pick up their own things?

Mine does NOT! he down refuses. I tell him its time to pick his things up and he will lay on the couch and say hes to tired or some other excuse. I can make him sit in time out untill he does it or take things away but he still wont do it.

If your child does, please share how you do it!!

Keaton_Hazel

Asked by Keaton_Hazel at 6:14 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Only when the mood strikes her...It better start striking more often though or she's gonna be in big trouble.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:15 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I have always told them if they don't pick up their toys I will throw them away. Then I follow through. i generally pick one they don't play with often and put it in the trash can, that gets them moving. If they still don't do it I throw away another one. The toys stay in the trash too.
    Now I just have to tell them to pick up their toys. There isn't much arguing either.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:16 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• yes
    Cynt1020

Answer by Cynt1020 at 6:16 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• mine says that his back hurts, i tell him his backside is going to hurt. i make him get in bed with no covers if he refuses for a nap. when he wakes up he better get it done or he wont get dinner. he says he doesn't like his chore of picking up his clothes from the bathroom either.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 6:18 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• my son does not like to clean well cry and cream forever i have to like sit in a chair and keep my eye on hem cause he can find anything to play with to pass the time. nap time is the same way can lay in bed for hr's really i be sleep waiting on hem. and then he be eating the house down lol idk i am hoping it is just being 3
    lindalee115

Answer by lindalee115 at 6:24 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Most of the time if they're asking to play with something like a puzzle or paint or something that might need room & I say you have to pick up this this & this.. they will. At school, they help willingly at clean up time... but usually Im the one who ends up doing it. But when I really want them to do it themselves (and one will do it more then the other) I'll sit in the middle of the play room & say "Ok, now pick up your train tracks & put them in the train bucket" & so on...and I'll also say "If you pick "this" up, you can "paint" (or whatever activity it is they want to do. Good luck!
    luvmyboys2

Answer by luvmyboys2 at 6:35 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Yes, thankfully mine LOVES to. In fact, he gets mad if he doesn't GET to help. I MUST give him things so HE can put them away. =)
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 6:38 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I got some grief from my girls and then from my grands teaching them to pick up after themselves. When they refused I would/do grab their pudgy little hands in mine pick the item up and walk them and it to where it belonged then repeat as necessary to finish.. I would/will then let them see the toys but not play with them for the rest of the day
    lee63

Answer by lee63 at 6:38 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Yes. He does. IF he does not...a fav toy goes way for a day. Plus, if all else fails, NO Wii.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:43 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Well atleast im not alone. Lol.
    Keaton_Hazel

Comment by Keaton_Hazel (original poster) at 8:53 PM on Sep. 15, 2010