Can i send out a brithday wish list for my daughter's first birthday?

my daughter's 1st birthday is in February so i know i have awhile. but would it be rude to send out a wish list? i dont want a lot of toys she has a ton!! clothes would be nice and maybe some movies and books idk i just want things we need or want, i hate returning things. my hubby wont let me make one. i was going to do a Christmas list and a birthday list. so can i make the list or not?

Caroline2010

Asked by Caroline2010 at 6:17 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Holidays

• Personally, I didn't with my girl, but if you need something or if there's something she seems to really like, I don't see harm in putting some "hints" on the invites! :)
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 6:20 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• also, some friends let me know ahead of time they couldn't afford a gift. one friend even said she probaby wouldn't come BECAUSE of that reason. I just let her know I wanted her there because it wasn't about gifts it was about celebrating them and their first year. but again it depends on you and your friends and all that
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 6:22 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Its definaty up to you but I got a wish list type note in an invite to my boys friends 1st birthday and idk i was really turned off by it. I would just hope people dont get dumb things lol most of the people attending my boys first bday party (last saturday) asked me what they needed and I was able to let them know they needed winter clothes rather than toys (because their Grandma has that covered lol.

In my opinion, it can be seen as rude, kind of, forward i guess.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 6:20 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Well, I kind of agree with your hubby, but what I would do is go ahead and make the list, and if anyone asks what you'd like for her, tell them you have a wish list and can e-mail it to them if they'd like. I wouldn't put it in her birthday invitation. I do see that more and more people are doing this, but traditionally it's considered bad manners.

I always ask what the child wants when I'm invited to a party, unless there's something special I already plan on giving them. Even if I get a gift list, half the fun for me is shopping or making a special gift, so I may use the list only for inspiration.

It's really about celebrating your daughter's birthday, not about what people give her. Enjoy her special day.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 6:21 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I don't think that's an issue for family or really close friends. Most people are going to ask what she needs anyway.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:19 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• For my littlest one's 1st birthday, I made a wishlist & put in the invitations "Wishlist @ _________ for gift ideas. But do what fits your comfort level & budget."
    eeyoreplus4

Answer by eeyoreplus4 at 6:41 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I have done something similar when my grandson was 3... I put a simple list together of book titles, clothes sizes etc.. things that
    he would benefit from more so than toys... everyone thought it was a great idea and he got only 1 toy... that was from us ...
    Now that he is 9, he likes getting gift cards and money so that he can go and get what he wants.... and I put that in his invites...
    I think ppl like this bc ideas can be limited (depending on age) and also a lot of ppl are on budgets....

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 7:19 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Personally, I find it very tacky unless someone asks you what is needed or liked
    violetz

Answer by violetz at 7:29 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• No, it is totally tacky, like you're only inviting the person to get something. With close family and friends, you can always mention what you're thinking would be a good idea, especially if they ask. But, please don't start telling people what they should give your kids.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 9:43 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I hate wish lists as they aways have the most expensive stuff on them and usually what the parent wants and not the kid. So I dont buy from them anyways. I find better gifts by knowing the child and taking the time to get them something they will love. However if people ask for ideas you could always say that she loves clothing and would love some new outfits or a gift card for shopping
    steveiguana

Answer by steveiguana at 7:41 AM on Sep. 16, 2010